cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LmyBrit
Advocate

Lack of Football Content Live or On Demand

New to Now TV and watching through the Samsung Now app and have the Sports Month Membership. There are a few things that I don't get and am very frustrated by given the high cost:

1. Why are there only 2 of the 10 weekend Premier League matches to watch on demand right now?

2. Why can I only watch highlights of EFL games and not full games?

3. Why are there so few live games to watch at the weekend in the EFL or Premier League? i.e. you can't even watch a match at the main kickoff time on Saturday and Sunday.

4. Why do they not even show how much time is left in the game on replays or on demand matches?

5. Why is it so hard to find football match content and personalize fast access to your favourites?

0 Thanks
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Saint1976
Elite 2

Re: Lack of Football Content Live or On Demand

@LmyBrit 

1. As of this morning there are 4 Premier League matches from the weekend available. Not all matches will have a complete 90 minute replay on demand as Sky don't own the rights. For example Man City v Arsenal is on demand on BT. You can of course watch highlights of all the matches via other mediums like Sky Sports YouTube channel.

2. Probably server capacity and demand. There are 72 EFL teams (36 matches) and that would be an enormous amount of content to upload. How many fans of a small club are willing to pay for Now to watch a replay once a week? Not many.

3. We've never had 3pm kick offs. It was agreed this way to protect smaller clubs and ensure fans attend games at smaller clubs rather than sitting at home watching it.

4. Not sure what you mean. If you are talking about the match timer normally in the top left, that's not part of the recorded VT instead added as part of the live broadcast independently of the cameras. Adding a timer to on demand content would require a separate editorial process which I guess would add more time to the process and cost.

5. Again, not sure what you mean. I have no problem finding content, it's conveniently separated in the on demand section into different sports with the exception of the Premier League which has its own section.

View solution in original post

0 Thanks
10 Replies
Saint1976
Elite 2

@LmyBrit 

1. As of this morning there are 4 Premier League matches from the weekend available. Not all matches will have a complete 90 minute replay on demand as Sky don't own the rights. For example Man City v Arsenal is on demand on BT. You can of course watch highlights of all the matches via other mediums like Sky Sports YouTube channel.

2. Probably server capacity and demand. There are 72 EFL teams (36 matches) and that would be an enormous amount of content to upload. How many fans of a small club are willing to pay for Now to watch a replay once a week? Not many.

3. We've never had 3pm kick offs. It was agreed this way to protect smaller clubs and ensure fans attend games at smaller clubs rather than sitting at home watching it.

4. Not sure what you mean. If you are talking about the match timer normally in the top left, that's not part of the recorded VT instead added as part of the live broadcast independently of the cameras. Adding a timer to on demand content would require a separate editorial process which I guess would add more time to the process and cost.

5. Again, not sure what you mean. I have no problem finding content, it's conveniently separated in the on demand section into different sports with the exception of the Premier League which has its own section.

View solution in original post

0 Thanks
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @LmyBrit

Sky / NOW have 128 Premier League games live for the 2021-2022 season which is part of the Billions they pay the PL.

There is usually a game on Saturday afternoon around 4pm to 5pm. Two games on Sunday at around 2pm and 5pm.

Sometimes a game on Friday night and a match on Monday evening.

There is always match highlights of these games on repeat and other PL games that wasn't shown live.

With regards to EFL, there is selective games on Sky Sports Football live and there are blocks of games on the Red Button service (NOW Bonus Streams) but there are big gaps in what's on EFL which has again been agreed with the EFL on the amount of money paid by Sky.

From memory the next block of EFL games on the red button service is around the 14th of September. 

Football gets the biggest coverage by Sky than any other Sports.

For the next two weeks there is international football on Sky because the PL shutdown during the international break.

I don't watch much Football on NOW Sports Demand service to be honest because of the wait and 25fps playback.

0 Thanks
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @LmyBrit

Here's a schedule of the football games coming up on Sky / NOW (see link below).

https://www.skysports.com/watch/football-on-sky 

0 Thanks
redchiz1
Scholar 3

50 FPS on "selected devices" @schnapps 😉

0 Thanks
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@redchiz1 

Even on the select devices that support 50fps, the on demand section does not cater for 50fps and only outputs at 25fps 😡

FYI that I do not work for NOW, I am simply a NOW customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service and like you I am still a customer. For any account issues you’ll need to contact staff via customer support.
redchiz1
Scholar 3

Ah, fair enough.  😕

0 Thanks
LmyBrit
Advocate

@Saint1976 

I somehow accepted your answer as the answer by accident and there seems to be no way to undo that but now I think more about it is somehow fitting.  Since you are talking about the VT process like you are an insider I am assuming you are a Sky admin, if you are you should really identify yourself as such in a user forum.

1. At the time of posting I only saw 2 out of 10, when I checked earlier this morning this was still the case. A lot more have been added since your response this morning somehow.

2. Not asking about all EFL games just SOME, why are there NONE? As a football fan I enjoy watching FULL matches at all levels not just the ONE I support. Two out of each league or even just two from the Championship would be something. For example I paid ESPN+ $5.99 a month and got access to at least 4 or 5 full Championship games every weekend on demand and several Division One matches.

3. Since I am an ex-pat who recently moved back from the US I am sure you are correct no matter how bizarre it sounds. I am sure that also conveniently saves Sky a lot of money on production cost, VT editing, server space and bandwidth whilst protecting the sensibilities of Tottenham supporters who want to go to all Chelsea home games etc. etc. 

4. Yes, that is exactly what I mean, why can I not tell how much time is left in a match when watching it? This should be a basic, basic standard as it is crucial to the enjoyment of the match.  Do Sky not make enough money to hire VT people for their flagship on demand content? Maybe check with your US partners at NBC Sports, somehow charging a fraction of what Sky One charges they manage to do it AND get many more matches up on on-demand within hours not days. Maybe you could borrow their on-demand matches to save you some more time and money?

5. Try using it is a non Sky admin, commission some user groups and get some feedback on personalization of content in apps. For example the ESPN+ app is light years ahead of the Sky One app and has to support a lot more content but I don't have to wade through all the things I don't want to see to get to what I do.

At the end of the day I get more content value from watching Match of the Day on demand so why should I continue to pay you a lot of money for a basic level of content that I already get for FREE on demand through BBC iPlayer?

P.S. I am still in shock that Sky One admins have the audacity to complain to paying customers about Sky One "server capacities", the cost of doing business in a scalable cloud-based World should be nothing for a multi-billion pound company that charges so much. Just tragic on all levels.

0 Thanks
Saint1976
Elite 2

@LmyBrit I'm not a sky employee, just another customer. 

Employees have a logo next to their name. Super users (customers who've used the service for years and are a bridge to Now employees) have 3 stars next to their name.

If you want to complain, email Now or Sky but I'll bet a pound to a penny you won't get a reply that comes close to answering your points.

0 Thanks
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@LmyBrit 

No-one on this thread this includes @Saint1976 works for Sky/NOW.

We are all paying customers like you. 

If you want to complain then I suggest sending an email to customer support. Address in the below picture.

46AFBF26-DD18-44A5-97E0-0719761A8392.jpeg

FYI that I do not work for NOW, I am simply a NOW customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service and like you I am still a customer. For any account issues you’ll need to contact staff via customer support.
0 Thanks