cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LEWEFC
Mentor

Re: Have NowTV reduced the Frame Rate for Sports with a Boost Pass on other Devices ?

Pass this on... If it helps..

I posted this on another post so have passed it to yourself.

I am guessing, you leave the power on the PS4... 

I have had this issue before with other Apps, on my and another peoples TV's.

I have this issue with the NOWTV App, on my BT Youview Box and LG TV.

I proved it was happing on both, then fixed it on my TV, then proved it was still happening on the BT Box, then fixed that also.

In short, it seems to be some apps get upset and don't work correctly until you do a full power down of the device.

1/ Turn your device off and disconnect it from the mains power (unplug the power from the mains).

2/ Wait at least 2 minutes.

3/ Plug the device back into the mains and power on the device.

4/ Go into you App and run as normal. You may get a buffer at the start of what you are watching, then should go OK from that point.

This has work for me all the time I have seen App issues in the past.

Most Apps hold data, updates, configs in Cache and can't load or run correctly until the have a full reset, a full power down.

As this is affecting all users, my guess is, this points at the NowTV server, with the App not being able to deal with what has been sent down from the server.

Mine is still working, but will be switching on early before the game tonight..

The biggest culprit was the All4 App, with NowTV now coming a good second.

Good Luck, hope all works for you...

Simon-J
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Have NowTV reduced the Frame Rate for Sports with a Boost Pass on other Devices ?

@LEWEFC @getbetternowtv @schnapps @PrimeTime67 @martin27 

Hi all.

While we've not been notified of any frame rate reduction on devices other than the freeview boxes we did see some issues at the weekend so this could perhaps be related, or has this been present from before this weekend for yourselves?

Thanks

Simon

0 Thanks

part of the 'evidence' is that when you stream on ps4 you get a 'live' bitrate in the top-right of the screen. when full HD is operational this is <8000. when it is not, it is <5000. I noticed last night and this morning (despite reinstalls and removing/re-adding device etc) that apart from the above-mentioned very clear indicator of stream qualiity, the frame rate is clearly to the naked eye not 50FPS. The fact that no info has been provided by nowtv and when you contact the chat they're absolutely hopeless (no understanding, goodwill...just nothing and going round in circles lol... "let me check") 

obviously the debacle with paying viewers not being able to watch the eng vs belgium game last week has played a role...

0 Thanks
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Simon-J 

Haven't had chance yet to check my devices today on Sky Sports Main Event or Sky Sports Football with Boost.

I noticed the definite frame rate loss last night whilst watching the Rugby League on Sky Main Event and the Germany v Switzerland game on Sky Sports Football when i turned on my devices around about 6 to 7pm.

I am more prone myself to seeing a drop to 25fps than a reduction from 1080p to 720p on my 50 inch television (i can't tolerate 25fps for mast moving sports).

Over the weekend the Boost streams was looking fine especially the New Zealand v Australia Rugby match at 3am on Saturday morning on Sky Sports Main Event in glorious 1080p with full 50fps playback.

When i got time later this afternoon when i will check out both Sky Sports Main Event and Sky Sports Football again to see if there is any improvement.

0 Thanks
KernowChris
Scholar 3

I too can confirm I saw this 'misbehaviour' on the 'pink' box last night, after following the discussion here. 

I do hope the technical people are onto resolving this pdq. Alternatively roll everything back to where it was a week ago and restart any modifications in the chain again. 

Zeroing Boost pass charges for a month would be a useful gesture. 

0 Thanks

Update:

after the usual lengthy and frustrating ritual dance on chat i got the current month of boost refunded and have just added it again. now it's getting up to <8000 on the premier league channel but main event seems capped at <5000

0 Thanks
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Simon-J 

Just fired up my NowTV 4K box and had a quick look at the Celtic v Rangers match on Sky Sports Football and it still looks like 25fps playback to me 😠.

0 Thanks

speaking of the refund question being ignored, today when i asked on the useless chat if they could refund the month of sky sports they firstly said outright no, and when i asked if could get a prt refund the answer was "this is not possible because you would need to ask at the beginning of the billing period to get a refund"....so i asked 'what, so before it happened?" and then the asnwer was "we won't give you a full refund for the month if you only had the issue since the belg england game".... i swear it's class-action lawsuit material this

0 Thanks
SouthCoastAsh
Mentor

How do you use the live chat? All I get is NowTvBot and no option to reach an agent.

I've paid 6.99 for 3 months Boost so not happy if I can't use the service purchased. 

0 Thanks

@SouthCoastAsh

It's deliberately made hard to find. You have to view a help topic and then find a down arrow which reveals the link to the chat. Good luck with the chat though, you'll probably get a more intelligent correspondence from the robot. Be prepared and turn on some meditation music

0 Thanks