cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NowTJ
Advocate

Re: F1 season pass 2021

A year or so back, I tried to sign up to F1TV Pro in France (An allowed region) through a VPN but it insisted that the address of the card used to pay was registered in the country of purchase.

0 Thanks
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@NowTJ 

As a guess does it take PayPal? 

Most services in the US take PayPal and I manged to create a US PayPal account for Hulu, Peacock TV and Paramount+ despite living in Scotland!

FYI that I do not work for NOW, I am simply a NOW customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service and like you I am still a customer. For any account issues you’ll need to contact staff via customer support.
0 Thanks
F1TVUK
Advocate

Thought about VPN but also read that F1 Tv are getting pretty good at detecting vpn connections and cutting them off...think that would maybe annoy me more half way through a race than not watching at all 🙂

Just if it helps anybody who already has Sky but not the Sports package, it looks like Sky are doing an £18 per month upgrade (no contract) for just the F1 channel...still a lot for one channel but maybe some Sky subscribers have been bolting on NowTV just watch F1 so this would be much cheaper over the season.

James_0807
Scholar

@SweetBlitz 

It's actually worse than I originally thought, the F1TV Pro service has just been upgraded to 1080p50 which means the actual comparison is £54 (9*£6 per month) for the F1TV Pro offering, vs £333 (9*£34 per month + 9*£3 per month) for the NowTV/SS offering since we now have to factor Boost into the cost for it to be comparable... How does that make any sense at all??!!

Sky model is surely unsustainable at this point if people start catching on and VPN'ing.

James_0807
Scholar

@NowTJ 

Seems if you sign up through the iOS/Android app the service doesn't know where your card is registered, so that one's solved.

@F1TVUK 

VPN blocks are a constant game of cat and mouse, but server obfuscation techniques are getting better at masking VPN traffic these days. Guess whether it's worth the risk or not is a personal decision.

KartPlayRide
Mentor

You'd have thought that NowTV and Sky would have worked out that charging £200 for an annual pass that people will buy, was better for them from a revenue point of view - rather than them not getting any money from people who are unwilling to pay for the full monthly sports pass price, or only day pass purchases.

They're going to make more money off the annual pass surely.

SweetBlitz
Expert 2

It's still a fortnight before it starts.  Inevitably there will be a £20/month email offer and a £25/month website offer.   There is zero chance of an annual pass as the last time there was, Now had to refund everyone.

Kenjara
Mentor

The difference though is that this year its very unlikely a single race will get cancelled.

So I wouldn't say that there is zero chance. I am still hoping for a pass myself.

0 Thanks
James_0807
Scholar

@KartPlayRide 

My guess would be it's a game of chicken every year. They know if you watched last season etc. so they know if they have managed to dupe people into paying full price or not. If a large enough proportion of known F1 fans have already subscribed then I'd wager likelihood of even an offer is greatly reduced. However, if most known F1 fans aren't subscribed by the week the season starts then they likely don't have much choice but to have some kind of offer. They've paid so much for the rights they need a certain number of subs to even break even.

Exclusivity deals shouldn't be a thing at the end of the day. I refer to my earlier point. It's £6 a month in the US. I know sky sports is more than just f1, but still, it grates knowing how much we're over paying.

SweetBlitz
Expert 2

it grates knowing how much we're over paying.

Compared with what subscriptions cost in most of the EU and elsewhere in the world, the prices in UK and Ireland are exorbitant.  Whenever I am in France or Portugal it costs far less.

All you can do is take up offers to reduce the cost.  I pay £12/month for BT Sport and have a number of Sky Sports vouchers I got with sticks that effectively work out at around £16/month.  And GAAGO for about €60/annum,  At least with Amazon, sport does not cost extra, or as little as 99p/month for Eurosport for the Australian Open tennis.

0 Thanks