cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Youtube app not working for rented content

I purchased a black NowTV box the other day for our kitchen TV (we also have a white box for our TV in the lounge -it's a 5yr old vs teenager thing!!)

I rented a movie from Youtube but it isnt' working on either TV, but is working on my laptop.

All other Youtube content works fine on both TVs but rented content either has no picture and just sound or no sound and just picture (with loud crack sounds once in a while)! I only tried them one at a time after closing the app on the other one first.

I tried switching everything off and trying again but this time it doesn't even just play the picture with no sound, it says 'loading' and doesn;t get further than that.

Is this a Youtube issue? or a NowTV box issue? and how do I fix it?

23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello,

I bought a Now TV black box recently and for the most part it's great.

I occasionally buy films from the Google Play store, which can then usually be accessed via YouTube in the Purchased section of my profile.

When I choose a film to watch the first few seconds, maybe up to the minute mark, play fine, then the picture will disappear and a multicoloured static will emerge, the audio usually continues fine, it's just the picture that goes and is not recoverable.

I've tried multiple films, tried stopping, restarting, jumping forward & back along with restarting the box, moving the box closer to the router and nothing helps.

Note that this only happens to purchased content, normal YouTube videos play fine, as do all other apps...

Any ideas?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Wasn't even aware that you could play your Google Play purchased content via the YouTube app on the NowTV box.

Suppose you learn something new everyday on these forums.

Sorry i can't help with your problem however.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Thanks for getting in touch with us. I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with the Youtube app.

We're able to suggest a hard reset of the box using the pin hole button on the back.

However, as this is a 3rd party app, you will be best suited contacting Youtube directly.

Thanks,

Rob

NOW TV Team

BicBasher
Elite

I had no idea about that little quirk of the YouTube app.  I stream Google Play video using either Chromecast or the Google Play Video LG app.

Networking Spec - ISP: TalkTalk VDSL2 @ 76mbps | Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen, Chromecast 3rd Gen WiFi, Motorola Moto G9 (Android 11), Dell PC with Windows 10 Home Edition using Now TV Player.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm having the exact same problem - did you figure out a way to solve it in the end?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

I'm having the exact same problem - did you figure out a way to solve it in the end?

@Anonymous User

Hi

Welcome to the forum

Best advise would be to contact Youtube directly as this is being caused by an issue on their end

Thanks

Aaron

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

I have this exact same issue and have been unable to watch paid for content within the YouTube app for several months. I've tried talking to Google but their response was, "This device is no longer supported".

This is such a shame as it was a great way to watch movies and, combined with dipping in to the Entertaimment pass to catch up on series, satisfied my TV watching needs. Think I will need to find an alternative to the Now TV box.

Ben.

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User I'm sure not sure whether you have one but the app on my Wii U plays YouTube movies perfectly. 🙂

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@caseyb1993 wrote:

@Anonymous User I'm sure not sure whether you have one but the app on my Wii U plays YouTube movies perfectly. 🙂

@Anonymous User the YouTube app on Xbox one and PlayStation four will also work and last I checked, so will the NowTV smart box. 

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.