cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Why do I have to suddenly create an account with Chanel 4 to watch catch up?

Hey all,
Been using Now TV for about 4 months and suddenly when I go to watch any catch up on channel 4 it asks me to sign into channel 4 first otherwise to go to an address and create an account?
any ideas why thata happened?
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Sounds like Channel 4 have made changes to the Catch-up service and possibly introducing accounts to watch. Normally when watching Channel 4 on there website you do need an account so they may be pushing this out across all platforms now. Channel 4 is a 3rd party service so unfortunately we don't hold any information on it and so you may be best checking this out with them. Other catch-up services like BBC iplayer will need accounts in the near future also to watch via their apps which i believe is due to not having a TV Licence and making sure people who watch it have one.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

Channel 4 have been moving over to a log-in/account system for their All4 streaming service for a few months now...

And just-so-you-know... NOW TV have no control over 'third-party' apps, such as BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4, Demand 5, RedBull TV, YouTube etc. Their content, their delivery systems, their UI's and their distribution platform are entirely controlled by the service provider.

Cheers

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Would imagine in the future that other Terrestrial catch up service App providers may follow a similar route, where you will need to create an account on their website to "sign in" into their App to gain access to their content.

The BBC have a "semi sign in" option to their BBC IPlayer service to enable users gain benefits from their personalized features.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/latest-news/account-signin

Where i wouldn't be surprised if this is a precursor to a full blown "log in" access to the BBC App to enable "Big Brother" to keep a track of our viewing habits and check on the people using their IPlayer service.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps That's already the plan! Already on quite a lot of devices you're forced to sign into a BBC account to use iPlayer, it's just a case of them getting round to updating them all. Luckily (as I'm not a fan of having endless accounts to do anything) the Roku/NOW TV app seems to be near the end of the list. 

I have had to succumb to Channel4 tho as the All4 app on Roku was updated a few weeks back to force login.