cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

When will you be transmitting in HD?

Hi guys

Was wondering when you will start transmitting in HD?  Did ask a few years ago was hoping that by now shows would be available in HD...

Thanks in advance

Kriss 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum. Great to see another sci-fi fan around! NOW TV stream in 720p HD on most devices now,  but there's no news on if or when this will be upped to 1080p HD. However streaming on my devices on the big screen, the quality is pretty good.

More details here

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-highest-streaming-quality-for-my-device

View solution in original post

121 REPLIES 121
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Just on to sky about it now and they say there are no plans for full HD

Why contact Sky's call centre when our point of contact is NowTV (and yes I know NowTV is a small part of the Sky empire)? I assume you weren't actually talking to someone at Sky's R&D department when you say you were 'on to Sky'?

I've always wondered why Sky would up NowTV to 1080p/50fps when they really want us on the bigger, and more expensive, Q packages.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've just spoken to Now TV via chat and all the agents ever state is currently it's 720p.  I've given them the link which states that by the end of year (2018) that FULL HD (ie 1080p) would be available but they go into "we don't know anything" mode. It's very poor that NOW TV/SKY should release a press statement only to then not deliver and worst not update it;s customer's further. I've taken only the Broadband as it;s cheaper then SKY but would like to be able to watch GOT in full HD.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Because, isn’t the standard these days 1080? And aren’t Sky pushing their 4K stuff instead? I know that 4K/UHD is mainly only for sports and streaming films, but the shift up from 1080 to 4K might make them willing to set 1080 as their new base level perhaps.

However, the market shift up to widespread channel broadcasting on 4K hasn’t really happened. So 1080 is still the ‘desirable’ rather than ‘essential’.

PaulNormanUK
Scholar 3

I guess it comes down to cost cutting? 1080p will require the use of more resources and bandwidth and i'm guessing NOW TV don't want to pay for that until they have to. When the time comes and they do offer 1080p and above, I hope they offer an option within the menu system to select SD, HD or UHD so that those with poorer broadband speeds or caps can continue to get the best out of their NOW TV subscription.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I can cope with the picture quality (even if it is 720p on a 55 OLED LG) however what I can’t obide is 2.0 stereo. If I’m paying for a cinema pass, I want movies to be in 5.1 surround as an absolute minimum. Even DVD’s which are lower quality than 720p come in 5.1 surround. 

It’s horrible listening to speech in a movie which is not coming from the centre speaker. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It's pretty rubbish Now TV not supporting 1080p streaming. It's not even cutting edge any more. Seriously, 720p is a joke.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Then ditch the Now TV service altogether.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Demanding 1080 is overly simplistic. It's a bit like asking for more pixels in a camera. My professional SLR cameras have 12mp, less than my phone which is awful by comparison. 

We don't just want 1080, we need it without the huge level of compression and an awfully low frame rate.

Nowtv may be 720 but is nowhere near the quality of 720 TV 10-15 years ago. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I don't mind paying £6.00 for a two month entertainment package but now TV/sky need to up their game in all regards.

The subtitles they announced in a blaze of glory is very poor considering Netflix and BBC I player/channel 5. There are hardly any subtitles available. Now TV state they have experienced technical issues and basically offer no resolution.

The picture quality? Whilst I find 720pb acceptable for the entertainment package I most certainly would not pay the price for movies which in this day and age to stream at stereo 720p is a step back in time regardless of how good a TV is at upscaling.

If sky are going to move to streaming their channels and operate like Netflix you would think they take the feedback from now TV and build that service for what could be a seem less transition when the UK finally gets that option?

I feel now TV have failed their customer base on delivering upon the key improvements their press releases Witter on about, abs worst they then fail to deliver and update the businessc accordingly.

Are now TV merely another broadband provider? Is that what their core business now relies upon? It would be nice to hear from now tv to clarify my comments above but i somehow doubt they will respond given previous history!

I'm happy to continue paying £35 for my superfibre Broadband but surely now TV need to get people to subscribe to their TV side also?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Comcast clearly have a different vision than what the previous owners had. In my opinion NowTV will remain as is. Comcast will probably push those wanting full hd and 50fps towards the new Sky Q over IP product when it launches. I don't think NowTV will ever be anything more than a 'poor man's Sky'.

The only hope for proper hd and 50fps would be with the launch of NowTV on BT Youview. Surely the app has to be upgraded to make it attractive for BT customers to get on board? 

720p/25fps is so far behind everyone else. I honestly can't see me sticking with it for much longer.