cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Warning - OLED/Plasma/AMOLED TV/Phone screen damage from SYFY static onscreen logo burn-in

If you have a OLED, AMOLED or Plasma TV/Phone the bright white static SYFY onscreen logo can burn-in and damage your TV/Phone's screen.

13 REPLIES 13
caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Can you pass this on to the right team? 🙂

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

The worst on screen logo TV graphics that i have encountered are the BT Sports ones, where apart from they are intrusive and take up screen area that spoils the overall picture viewing experience, they also caused permanent screen burn on my old Panasonic Plasma TV Smiley Mad

IMO there is no place for these on screen channel logo's and if necessary place them right in the corner of the screen and alternate them in different corners regularly, plus make them small and translucent as possible and not tourch burning bright.

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps @Anonymous User @caseyb1993

You Know Guys

I believe the screen tech is faulty, or incomplete, rather than blaming the logos causing them to suffer from permanent screen burn.

Simply put, the technology is not fit for purpose and should not be touched with a barge pole until the manufacturers can develop OLED/Plasma/AMOLED screens that do not burn.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Totally wrong. static full white graphics are against technical and creative standards.
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @schnapps @caseyb1993

Hi Denzil

You said, "Static full white graphics are against technical and creative standards". So, what your saying is that it's OK for these "new and expensive" screens to fail while the older CRT and LED screens keep on working under the same conditions?

You must have a forgiving nature, because for me this is just a way for manufacturers to recoup some of their R&D while selling the public naff tech.

UK Bob

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ukbobboy

Even CRT and LCD displays are susceptible to screen burn on static images over extended periods of time, but no where near as sensitive has the Plasma / OLED screen technology.

This doesn't put me off mind, where my next television is going to be an OLED Smiley Happy 

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps

Hi Schnapps

You said, "...my next television is going to be an OLED", that's cool, and as you are a savvy consumer you know what you are letting yourself in for.

Hey, as long as it makes you happy then no one can fault you.

Watching TV.jpg

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User hi! 

Thanks for flagging. Can I confirm your referring to the logo on the Live channel? Thanks!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

On the box sets, noticed it on Dark Matter.