Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Subtitled Shows - I'm trying to put together a list but struggling

**Edit - I found another**

Good evening all.

I've brought up subtitles before and I've noticed by chance that a couple of box sets now have them. But it's quite tedious searching for the subtitled content via all the channels. I was hoping some of you could help compile a list of the shows you've come across with subtitles.

So far I have (four haha)

1. Big Little Lies.

2. Tin Star.

3. You, Me And The Apocalypse.

4. Elementary (I've just found this one too)

I'm kinda hard of hearing so I rely on subtitles. I've watched all the foreign shows and now just looking for the others.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

On a side note. Wouldn't it be nice if NowTV compiled a list, or have they already done that and I've missed it?

16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Try Ray Donovan, that has subtitles, also The Night of

My partner is partially deaf so I need to find series/fims with subtitles

@Anonymous User wrote:
I decided to start watching Tin Star. I got the first three episodes out of the way and I was really enjoying it. The it went pair shaped. Episode 4 has no subs. Episode 5 does, but then ep 6, 7, 8, 9 & 10 doesn't.

As you can imagine, I'm pretty peeved. Is NowTV trying to wind up us deaf/hard of hearing folk?

It's a joke tbh and they should start listening to their customers, but we know they won't. They're more than happy at taking a monthly subscription fee though. Makes me sick.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Chernobyl can be added to the list. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Maybe subtitles on Chernobyl reflects a clear policy on new acquisitions...though probably not. I’ve just got a TV stick and maybe being naïf I thought Sky would be at least as good at subtitling as Netflix...unfortunately it isn’t, and judging by longevity of this thread it’s taking a long time to improve. As well as subtitling some episodes within a series but not others (very annoying); films like Deadwood The Movie have subtitles when viewed on my iPad but not when watched on the TV (very confusing). I can’t see any sensible policy in all this and, as has been said any complaint is fobbed, with, in my case, directing me to links about ‘how to access subtitles in Now TV’ 😬. There doesn’t seem much point in metaphorically ‘talking to the wall’ about this but maybe if enough people complain......?

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

maybe if enough people complain......?

then NowTV will see the writing on the wall that says people will go elsewhere if they can’t see the writing on the screen....

But it seems to be getting such now that not having subtitles on new stuff is unusual, as with Riviera 2, which surprised us.

An ongoing problem with subtitles though, is that the setting on the Stick isn’t sticky (possibly true elsewhere as well) so you have to keep looking to re-enable subtitles for each new programme you choose,

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Unwillingness to provide subtitles by Sky and their subsidiaries has been going on for 4 years or more. I left now tv and Sky. Even letters to the Sky CEO elicited nothing more than patronising words and no action. Vote with your feet folks
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have had hearing loss for most of my 40 odd years and in the last 10 years or so have become reliant on subtitles for home viewing of programs and films - I can never find a volume that is good for me and not to loud for everyone else. So when subtitles aren't available or I can't "whack!" the volume up I miss out on alot of things - Freeview channels past 45 tend not to have them, Horror on 70 I'd really like! - so I hoped Now TV would have a wider range of programs with them! Having signed up for a month I feel let down by the advice from an online assistant and other media, I am beginning to wonder if it's because I cast Now TV to Chromecast from a Samsung  Galaxy S5? Prime, Netflix and BBC iPlayer to name a few are subtitled - only a very few obscure things aren't - even BritBox has subtitles! So where am I going wrong?

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

If you get any subtitles at all over Chromecast, I can’t see why you wouldn’t get all of them.

But honestly, do yourself a favour, get a NowTV Stick on one of the many Black Friday deals, and at least you will be sure you are getting all the subtitles going, not to mention a much simpler NowTV experience.

One thing that might help all deaf and hard of hearing people though, would be a Subtitles flag on @Anonymous User ’s Box Sets list at

http://www.artesea.co.uk/nowtv/

This assumes though (besides Artesea’s willingness to add this!) that the data he accesses to build this list automatically each day includes such a flag. Which maybe it doesn’t...

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.