cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sped up episodes - Game of Thrones

Not sure if this is an issue with just Game of Thrones or all shows/movies but I've noticed that there's a difference in runtime with the episodes on NowTV compared to runtime stated on IMDB.

I tried to introduce the show to a friend who lives far away from me, we decided to watch s01ep01 in sync starting at the same time. He was streaming through NowTV and I was watching it on my laptop as I already had the episodes on there in 1080p. For the first 20 mins I kept having to fast forward by a few seconds to catch up to him even though it seemed like we were in sync. I decided to pull up the episode on NowTV and have it playing next to my the 1080p version on my laptop to see if the episode on NowTV has scenes that were removed but I quickly noticed that the episode on NowTV was playing at a slightly faster speed. 

I wouldn't be bothered by this if it wasn't for the voices sounding higher pitched and not like the characters, its quite noticeable side by side.  Also, the pacing of the show is slightly off with the sped up playback, scenes with dialogue just don't feel right after having watched it in the correct runtime.

Hope this gets fixed as it has no reason to be this way.

1 REPLY 1
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Hi KA

First, let me say upfront that I'm not a TV engineer but I will relay the info I have picked up over the years.

UK TV pictures run at 25 frames a second, this is something to do with our electricity being supplied at 50Hz.

US TV pictures run at 30 frames per second (actually 29.97 fps), again this is something to do with their electricity being supplied at 60Hz.

Normally,  these slight difference are not noticeable, when films or shows are watched individually, but when watched side by side the timing differences do become obvious.

I hope I have explained it clearly enough so that you understand that the technical difficulty you perceive is not really a problem and would not have shown up had you not done a side by side comparison.

UK Bob