cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sound glitches

Anyone else having sound glitches in exactly the same spot on movies? Monsters Inc got pretty bad but they've taken that down now (my daughter is very upset with you now tv just to let you know!) but it seems like every movie we watch now has one or two glitches in the same spots. I know it's not my tv as it doesn't do it with any other device we use. We were watching the Tinker bell movie this morning and my daughter said it actually hurt her ears, it's not a nice sound at all and I want to get rid of it or might have to rethink my subscription.
Thanks guys
21 REPLIES 21
nickmorc
Expert 2

I have noticed this too, horrible hight pitched screeching noise. Using a black Now Tv Box. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Karl-FThis occurs on Roku 3, I have 3 of them all with same issue. One of the movies my kids are into at the moment does it so next time I hear it I will make a note of which movie and time.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Karl-F @Anonymous User @Anonymous User @nickmorc @Andy

Hi Karl

Just a thought, could this "screeching" problem be caused as a by-product of the compressing technique used by Now TV when streaming. 

As this noise happens on no other transmission or streaming service I use then I guess it's a strong possibility that this is something unique to Now TV. For example, I watch YouTube without any ill effects, I also watch other Roku channels which usually buffer every 15 or so minutes but do not screech. 

Anyway, as mentioned above, it's just a thought.

UK Bob 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I can confirm that on Roku 3, no other service is affected, only Now Tv does the screech thing. Netflix, Amazon, Youtube, and Google are all unaffected.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I too get this isdue on roku 3 box. Happens on all sorts of things such as live tv sports, movies etc as well as catch up.

Also have app on Samsung tv and don't have issue at all with that, only the roku 3 and seems a few people on here also have that box so hopefully an update can sort it out?
ukbobboy
Legend

@Karl-F @mrphil @Moofus @nickmorc @Andy @Anonymous User

Guys

Something Davey said pointed to another, I think, obvious clue to this screeching problem, which seem to be exclusive to the Roku 3 and Now TV black box which both run on the same OS.

Also back in the day when I had a white box there was no screeching, at least that I can remember.  So I believe the "screeching problem" is probably caused by a combination of Now TV's compression technique and Roku's current OS.

However, if I am right, it will require Roku and Now TV working together to fix this problem.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Im getting this too. Its horrible but more concerningly is whether it can damage speakers? I have a Yamaha soundbar which could really do without this being blasted out.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy

Would be interesting to know going forward, once they go on sale and folk start using them for a while, whether this sound glitch will not be an issue with the new Now TV Stick??  If there is something currently inherent with the Black Box that causes it, would the Stick be an option for avoiding it??

A few months down the line when I need to get a new voucher and I can get this packaged with a new Stick device I'll certainly be able to find out for myself, but would be good to hear from anyone who jumps in quicker whether sound glitches still occur on this new device.

My sound glitches are definitely fewer and further between than before, but maybe the stick will be an option to end them for good??  Or my longer term plan to avoid them will be in 2019 when I can watch the full Now TV selection via my BT TV Youview box.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User I haven't noticed any sound glitches on the Smart Stick. It seems that these glitches have been reported on Roku 2/3 devices and their equivalent (which would be the black NOW TV box) and seems to be linked to Roku firmware.

Like you it's definitely decreased lately, but I suffered quite a few watching a movie last night.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Andy

Good to hear that your experience of the smart stick is positive for having no sound glitches and if it is therefore an issue with those Roku boxes you mention and the black box equivalent, that might make me get in there quicker when the sticks are released.

My last bad experience of them was a couple of weeks ago when watching The Orville 'live' on Fox, but 99% of what I watch is catch-up and it tends to be fairly infrequent..... just infrequent enough to make you think it's cured, then a quick blast to remind you it's there!!