cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Smart Tv box

I've just bought a Now smart Tv box because it offers the freeview channels. I do not have wifi and therefore want to be able to watch the freeview channels without connecting to a network. I have an Aerial too so I was wondering how I set the box up as at the moment it's asking me to connect to a network. Can I get the freeview channels without connecting to a network. Someone please help me I'm losing my mind over this. Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum. You do need an Internet connection to set up the box as it requires authenticating with your NOW TV username and password as well as downloading updates. If you have Internet access but no wifi you can connect using Ethernet to set up, otherwise you'll need to take it to a friend or family to connect to their wifi and set up. In theory once setup you should be able to use it just for watching Freeview without Internet however compared to other dedicated Freeview receivers it's quite lacking in features such as no record, no 7 day EPG, basic channel interface so you may well decide a dedicated Freeview receiver would be a better option in your case.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Should have also mentioned in case you aren't aware that all the other apps that come with the box eg NOW TV, BBc iPlayer, ITV Hub etc all require an Internet connection so without one you won't be able to access those, including making use of any free NOW TV pass that came with the box.

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User you can definitely use the box for freeview without the internet. I have tried it on mine. You can set it up using a hot spot from mobile, but remember not to leave it connected.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.