Now smart TV only allows 30 mins recording and pause rewind time
What if I want to record for a lot longer then that
What do I need to buy
Or can I buy should I say
Will the Bt free view box work
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous User
Not applicable

The box doesn't have a record option its a 30 min pause.

Youview box will record but you can't watch nowtv entertainment on a youview box so bare that in mind.
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User, you can't watch Now Entertainment on Youview. You can't actually record on the smart box. You can only pause and rewind. Of course you may be able to record on a third device.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thanks for answer
So if you can't record
How do you catch up on programs that you have missed like those on sky 1 and Sky Atlantic etc etc
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

There's catch up versions of most new shows on the NOW TV app, use the Search option in the NOW TV app or go to Entertainment > Channels and choose the channel the show was on. Add any favourite shows to My TV so they get added to your Watchlist to find quickly another time.

Unfortunately there's not usually a catch-up version for repeats but you there are boxsets of lots of past seasons of shows available as well. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for your response
Geluk
Expert 2

I wonder if the SD card will ever be enabled to do this.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Geluk wrote:

I wonder if the SD card will ever be enabled to do this.

No!

chilli2
Elite

The SD card slot in Roku devices is only used for app/channel data storage and as such its not possible to play media form micro SD to the Roku, let alone to record to it.

The Now TV boxes are based on Roku units, however internaly the SD card slot electronics on the main circuit board ( contacts etc) may not be present on the now TV revision to cut costs.

The only way to record would be to take the output from the box (HDMI) and run it though a deice that can capture the video/audio, leaving the Roku/Now TV box streaming the channel and the recording device set on a timer to come onto the correct input and then start recording from that input. And all that depends upon the HDMI output not being scrambled/copy protected in any way.

chilli2
Elite

Thinking on a bit, if you have an older Roku box with the Av out (red/White/Yellow jacks) or the old white Now Tv box, with analog AV out ( via a custom 3.5mm jack on the back) you can use that analog standard definition  output to record, I managed to get something from the BBC Iplayer to VHS tape not that long ago  for someone who wanted a programme.

However it was much easier to let them borrow ( ie long term) my old Roku  unit when i upgraded to a Roku 3 , althought it was not as satisfying as finding a blank VHS tape, digging out a VHs recorder, and then getting it working again