cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-episode advert/trailer

Just noticed this today (never seen it before in 8 months of viewing) - after selecting an episode of something in the watchlist, a 15 second pre-episode NOW TV advert/trailer for some other TV show played first then it began playing the selected episode.

I quite liked having no adverts and trailers on NOW TV Entertainment!

Is this the future then for NOW TV Entertainment?

146 REPLIES 146
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

There's no need to waste people's time asking for more details like this - they are prevalent throughout the Now TV output and are a totally unwarranted and unjustified imposition wherever they appear.

Really,

I've very rarely seen one. Which is why I'm interested to know what you guys are watching Smiley Surprised

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@SeeMoreDigital wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

There's no need to waste people's time asking for more details like this - they are prevalent throughout the Now TV output and are a totally unwarranted and unjustified imposition wherever they appear.

Really,

I've very rarely seen one. Which is why I'm interested to know what you guys are watching Smiley Surprised

@SeeMoreDigital the trailers/adverts are only on Roku/Roku-based devices . So if you use of the devices. Most of the time you're probably not going to see them.

The trailer/adverts are the reason why I don't use the smart box much anymore because I know that every time I do have to watch one of those adverts/trailers. They are becoming more frequent as well. It seems to happen every time I use the smart box now. The vast majority of the time. I now use the LG TV is the trailer/adverts are not on there. The Trailer/adverts used to be far less frequent occurrence. I probably won't use the smart box. Once I add the Xbox One as a device again.

It's funny, really. I am the person that maintains the television information topic, so they don't need to tell me what's available. I already knowSmiley Frustrated

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Jason-C
Community Administrator

Hi all,

@commanda6@Anonymous User@SeeMoreDigital@Anonymous User@Anonymous User@Anonymous User

Just wanted to say that I've fed back your comments to the teams that manage these promotional videos.

Regarding the confusion around why we do this: Firstly, we see a significant increase in viewing for anything promoted! But also, a common concern we hear from people is that they're unable to find enough to watch. We know there are plenty of great shows and movies on the service, so we're trying every way we can to let people know about them.

Appreciate this may not be useful for everyone, but hopefully it goes some way to explain our reasons. I'll respond on this thread when I learn of any changes to the current system.

Many thanks,

Jason

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Jason-C

All of what you say may be true (although I don't really believe that NOW TV customers 'can't find' content and therefore need to be force-fed ads).

But there is one very big problem, that is totally unique to how Now TV is treating/mistreating its *paying* customers:

We cannot suppress or even skip ads that we have no interest in, and which intrude on our viewing experience.

This really stinks, which is why I'm out until it changes.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

Same, I cancelled both entertainment and movies. I'll buy back in if they stop forcing me to watch trailers over and over again. I felt like I'd throw the remove through the TV if I was made to watch an advert for Hooten and the lady one more time.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Talking of "Hooten and the Lady", I watched the final episode last night.  Before it started, there was a trailer for "The Flash" and just for fun, I timed it....27 seconds.  That was followed by an uninterupted 43 minutes of the show.  No advert breaks, just the programme itself.

I also recorded the final episode of "The Level" from ITV on my Humax PVR and had to fast forward to the start, through three advert breaks and then through the final credits up to the end of the recording, where I could delete it.  How long did that take?.....Just short of Five minutes.

As I previously said, a short trailer, followed by an uninterupted programme is a trade-off which is fine by me when it's up against nearly five minutes of "Thumb hovering" with my remote and I really am scratching my head as to why this is such an issue.  Are people really cancelling and missing out on great shows that they couldn't see anywhere else (For example "Braquo" is back next week on Fox...Brilliant programme!!) because of this?

With the four and a half minutes of my life that I saved last night, I could have made a cup of coffee.....Talking of which, the kettle's on, anybody fancy a brew? Smiley Wink

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

I also recorded the final episode of "The Level" from ITV on my Humax PVR and had to fast forward to the start, through three advert breaks and then through the final credits up to the end of the recording, where I could delete it.  How long did that take?.....Just short of Five minutes.

Well I think we have the answer to your complacency about the trailer intrusion right there!

If it takes you almost five minutes to skip ads across three breaks and then delete a programme then you're definitely not doing it right (and what's this nonsense about sitting through the credits before you delete? Totally unnecessary).

Don't use fast forward, it's far too fiddly: use the skip buttons (that's what they're there for after all). Set your Humax ad skip to +60 seconds and -7 seconds and you will breeze through ad breaks in a couple of seconds.

If I was watching and deleting in the way that you say you were I might also not find an unskippable loud and irrelevant intrusion not such a big deal!! 😉

Happy watching!

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@commanda6 wrote:

@SeeMoreDigital the trailers/adverts are only on Roku/Roku-based devices . So if you use of the devices. Most of the time you're probably not going to see them.

Hi @commanda6,

Thanks for the confirmation... This explains why I haven't seen any of these ads/trailers for a while 😉

This being the case, perhaps this entire topic would be better situated within the Roku section of the forum Smiley LOL

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

Given this problem affects NOW TV boxes as well perhaps this entire topic should be left right where it is.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@SeeMoreDigital

I 100% disagree - this should not be swept under the carpet as a 'Roku thing'. A vast proportion of NOW TV viewers will have come to the platform via the NOW TV boxes (the manufacturer is irrelevant) that they purchased through a supermarket or online retailer. And lots are angry at this change of terms of service.