cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Number of concurrent users?

Is there a limit on the number of concurrent users I can have on my account?   

Just curious on whether my son can be watching a movie on his laptop while I am watching something else on Now TV at the same time?

cheers

m

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User it's two per account

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User it's two per account

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Rather than having two concurrent viewer per account, shouldn't it be per pass?

As an example,  there are six of us in my family, so rather than having Sports under the same account as Entertainment/Movies we have two separate accounts so films can be watched by others whilst I and my father watch the sports.

As my son is often out of the house and using the Entertainment and/or Movies I have had the odd occasion where I am unable to watch either.   Not the end of the world, but once my latest Entertainment/Movies offers end in September, I will set up another account, so that even if two devices are used for watching movies, I can at least use entertainment.  

To all intents and purposes the passes are separate, so shouldn't the number of concurrent users be as well?

Alternatively the number of devices and concurrent users should be increased if you have three or four passes.

• 1 pass - 4 devices/2 concurrent
  • 2 passes 6 devices/3 concurrent
  • 3 passes 8 devices/4 concurrent
  • 4 passes 10 devices/5 concurrent

If you cancel a pass it would reduce and you would lose the least recently used device(s) and as you add passes you get extra slots.

Personally I would prefer not to have to nominate devices at all.  The restriction on concurrent users should suffice.  Been a real pain in the past when I get a new roku stick/now tv box to have to wait or contact the chat to swap them in.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Netflix limits you to 2 streams and infinite devices.
NOWTV limit you to 2 streams and 4 devices.

I don't have a problem with 2 streams, that's very sensible, I have a problem with the 4 device limit.

@Anonymous User  Is there any reason why this device limit can't be extended or better still abolished?  Seems pretty sensible to me.  I would even live with one stream per pass at a time if I wasn't restricted on devices.   Amazon and Netflix both do, so why not Now TV?  You know it makes sense!

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

Netflix limits you to 2 streams and infinite devices.
NOWTV limit you to 2 streams and 4 devices.

I don't have a problem with 2 streams, that's very sensible, I have a problem with the 4 device limit.

@Anonymous User  Is there any reason why this device limit can't be extended or better still abolished?  Seems pretty sensible to me.  I would even live with one stream per pass at a time if I wasn't restricted on devices.   Amazon and Netflix both do, so why not Now TV?  You know it makes sense!

@Anonymous User

Totally agree about the maximum four number devices on your account is to restrictive in this day and age with so many ways of streaming on different devices.

NowTV reply seems to be always that this is a licensing restriction issue imposed on them by their content providers.

However, what i can not understand, is that Netflix and Amazon don't have these device limitations and they must be dealing with the same studios.

I can only conclude (which is a pure guess on my part and could be totally way off the mark) that Netflix and Amazon have somehow done a better deal or they have more global clout with their suppliers and had this device limit removed ?

Perhaps NowTV needs a better negotiator and somebody more aggressive around the table when trying to make these deals with the studios to get this 4 number device limit lifted. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps wrote:

NowTV reply seems to be always that this is a licensing restriction issue imposed on them by their content providers.

However, what i can not understand, is that Netflix and Amazon don't have these device limitations and they must be dealing with the same studios.

I can only conclude (which is a pure guess on my part and could be totally way off the mark) that Netflix and Amazon have somehow done a better deal or they have more global clout with their suppliers and had this device limit removed ?

I agree.  Given they have to negotiate the deal with umpteen studios, I think this is unlikely.  I can't imagine whoever negotiates on behalf of the likes of Warner Bros would delve into that sort of detail.

Netflix allow you to have 1,2 or 4 concurrent users which is dictated by the level of service you opt for.  The more you pay the better the picture and the more concurrency.  

I suspect the truth is the device limit is more aligned to the legacy of Sky Go which has a 2 device limit from an era when the other devices would be a laptop and possibly a tablet and Now TV was a year or two away from launching.  Anywhere from Virgin also has this two device limit.  Both Sky Go and Anywhere have this ability to not recognise the device used the day before being very sensitive to any sort of software upgrade. This means a re-registration which having already  made the single permitted change in a month means calling customer service and a waste of half an hour.

Now TV is different as it is not anchored to a home set top box, but effectively replaces it and allows the use of any of the permitted devices just like Amazon and Netflix.  Not allowing too many devices makes sense for Sky Go and Anywhere as they want you to buy additional set top boxes, but for Now TV it doesn't as all it does is drive custom towards Netflix.  And as the reason for Now TV in the first place was to stunt the growth of Netflix and Amazon Prime, it is a pretty poor restriction.  

The concurrency I am fine with, and think two at a time is reasonable, but the device limit is archaic and should be removed.