Highlighted
Occasional Poster

Re: Mad Men season 7 - audio pitched up, playback speed problem?

[ Edited ]

I just thought maybe I should do a little research on how 24fps content is usually dealt with in a 25fps environment. It looks like I jumped a bit too quickly to my conclusion, sorry!

This link implies that 24fps content is indeed usually sped up to fit the 25fps environment - but it implies that the pitch of the sound is corrected, which does not appear to be happening on NOWTV.

So some people in UK TV got together and decided they would just have to do the obvious – speed the film up 4%. So a 100 minute film would take 96 minutes to air. And that’s how the solved the problem. They also speed up the sound but correct any changes in pitch.

https://letsfixitinpost.wordpress.com/2012/08/23/if-you-film-in-24fps-how-do-you-show-it-in-25fps-or...

So my question is - why not correct the audio pitch?

NOW TV Team

@jm25 I can only assume (as I don't work upstream loading the content on to the platform) that the decision was taken not to correct the audio pitch as the difference was so little? A few of us have reviewed the episodes side by side with Netflix and even listening specifically for the difference we couldnt hear it. 

I will pass your message along, if I get a more satisfactory response or justification I'll let you know! 

----------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to tag me in content related queries!
Regular 1

this topic had me intrigued so I decided to listen for myself, unfortunately I can’t hear the difference.  It sounds identical on netflix and Now TV to my old ears, sorry.