cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

How to Beat the Entertainment Pass Price Rise

The entertainment pass will be going up in price by £1 to £7.99 on August (Combo customers aren't immediately affected and those currently on an offer will see the price increase when their offer ends). More details here

https://help.nowtv.com/article/now-tv-entertainment-month-pass-update

One of the best ways to reduce the price of the entertainment pass is to use gift cards and vouchers instead of rolling over each month and paying on your card. Current offers will allow you to lock in for around £5 a month.

Buying a NOW TV box with passes included

Many retailers sell a new NOW TV box that comes with a code for either 3 or 6 months of entertainment included. Whilst you may not need a new box, you can buy these mainly for the code and keep the box for spares, pass onto a friend or recycle.

Current best prices seem to be around £14.99 for 3 months of entertainment. This is available at places like

Argos catalogue number 414/6678
Amazon
Currys
Tesco Direct

Remember to keep your receipt in case there is any problem with the code when you come to apply it.

Buying a gift card

If you don't need or don't like the sound of buying lots of NOW TV boxes you can also buy gift cards that contain a code for 3 or 5 months of entertainment for £15 and £25 respectively. You can buy these from places such as
Argos catalogue number 549/8033
Currys / PC world
Game (on their website or in-store)
Amazon

More info here https://help.nowtv.com/article/gift-cards

If you buy them in store make sure they are activated at the till and keep the receipt.

How to use the codes that come with a box or gift card

For details on how to use the code see here https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-apply-or-enter-voucher-code

Any downside to using the codes?

Don't go buying too many of these promotional boxes or gift cards - the codes that come with them are only guaranteed to work for 12 months from date of purchase (codes bought online at Game may have a different expiry date provided so buy one at a time). You might be lucky and get cards with an expiry date of longer than a year when bought with a NOW TV box but if you buy too many and they expire before you use them then you could be out of luck (remember you can only apply one at a time and can't apply a new one until you are in the last month of your current offer).

Also if you are the kind of person who just dips into NOW TV now and then to mainly watch boxset it may still be cheaper to just buy a monthly pass as and when you need it - the problem with buying a 3 month code is it is for 3 consecutive months, if you don't watch enough content each month to justify £5 then it might not be best value for you.

Other Things You Can Do

As well as using codes to get discounted passes you could keep an eye on the NOW TV offers page here http://www.nowtv.com/offers
Most of the offers are for new customers only but some may be available for existing customers so check the small print.

Offers available when cancelling - sometimes when you go to cancel your pass you will be offered a discounted rate for the next few months if you decide to stay, so if you are currently paying monthly, try cancelling your pass now (you don't lose any days by cancelling early) and see if you are offered anything. You can always stop the cancellation process if you change your mind or don't get offered anything.

Check the forum and sites such as HotUKDeals to see if anybody has spotted any other offers available. Always check the small print though as some offers might not be available to everyone.

Opt-in to receive marketing emails from NOW TV as you will sometimes be sent promotional offers from time to time. You can make sure you are opted-in on your My Account > Account Details page https://account.nowtv.com/account-details

Although nobody likes a price rise there's still lots of great entertainment available on NOW TV, with more boxsets being added all the time and SyFy channel joining the line up sometime soon. Keep an eye on the NOW TV blog for news on new boxsets and shows coming up.

https://watch.nowtv.com/blog

And if you see any other offers or have any other tips feel free to reply and let us all know.

20 REPLIES 20
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@commanda6 wrote:

Apologies @Andy , if you've mentioned this already, but I didn't see at first glance

No worries @commanda6 any other top tips just stick them in! 🙂

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps that's strange I haven't received an email about that. I have been getting all of their other emails though. Perhaps because I joined a couple of weeks ago on their stacker offer for 6 months? So I won't have to get another pass or gift card till December. Still though that's a bit cheeky I wouldn't have known about a price unless I had seen this thread. I suppose they hope I will forget about my offer coming to end and it will just roll on at the new price. Also I noticed that the 6 month passes are only available to buy on Amazon or at over inflated prices on eBay. The maximum pass i can buy elsewhere is 5 months even with a box. Are they phasing out the 6 month passes? Personally I would be happy if they offered a 12 month gift card then I wouldn't have to bother about it for a year. I am so far loving my now tv entertainment experience one small niggle would be that quantico isn't available at the moment. I wish I'd have joined now tv years ago
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Not sure of NowTV protocol of informing customers on any price changes, but i am guessing that they will email everybody on their computer database plus use all the social media outlets available to them (i.e, Facebook, Twitter etc to notify customers and the general public).

I only received the official email this morning, but was aware of the £1 entertainment price increase from reading the announcement on this community forum.

Like you i always take advantage of the voucher code route and tend to pick up the 6 month entertainment and 4 month cinema passes that come with the box.

Lets hope NowTV can still offer these deals through their Retailer outlets, where the deals i normally press the "buy button " is the box c/w with either 6 month entertainment or 4 month cinema voucher for £20 each.

I suppose the acid test will be the up and coming Bank Holidays, Black Friday and Christmas / January Sales period where these super deals seem to pop up from my history in the past of buying these boxes with the voucher codes.

Also, i would have no problem if NowTV decided to drop the boxes but still offered the vouchers only for the same sort of deal prices (I have lost count of how many spare boxes i have in my cupboard). 

Oddius
Scholar

If you have a Chromecast, Google was offering an Entertainment Pass for £5 for 3 months(£1.67 pm),

Just took advantage of it in the last few days, I can no longer see the offer but thats probably because I've used it.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Oddius

For some reason NowTV / Google have removed this promotion offer early.

I have asked NowTV for the reason why in this linked thread.

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Account-Offers-Promotions/Chromecast-Promotional-Offer-3-Months-Enter...

BTW - NowTV you have still not replied to my question why was this entertainment offer pulled early without any notice?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Amazon Prime - £59/annum  (just wait for the all too frequent offers) - includes movies and 2 million music track & free delivery

Netflix - £6/month - includes movies

£121/annum for Walking Dead (NOTE - not suddenly pulled with no warning), Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, American Gods, Man in the High Castle and movies like Hateful 8, Blair Witch, Girl on The Train etc. without getting a movie pass.  

One way of beating the price rise!

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Amazon Prime - £59/annum  (just wait for the all too frequent offers) - includes movies and 2 million music track & free delivery

Unless there's an offer, Amazon Prime costs £79.00 'upfront' per year or £7.99 per month.  The 'basic' SD version of Netflix costs £5.99 per month. The 'standard' HD version of Netflix costs £7.49 per month. The 'premium' UHD version of Netflix costs £8.99 per month.

If people want these services... Go for it. Personally speaking I've been a 'Prime' customer since the service started 😉

As with all things in life... "you pays your money and you takes your choice".

Geluk
Expert 2

Noticed on E Bay earlier a 6 mth E Pass for £54!!

Amazon have a 6 mth one with the basic black box for £30 currently.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

£121/annum for Walking Dead (NOTE - not suddenly pulled with no warning), Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, American Gods, Man in the High Castle and movies like Hateful 8, Blair Witch, Girl on The Train etc. without getting a movie pass.  

As an aside - you can get Amazon Instant Video for £5.99/month - this is just the video part without the free music and free delivery and whatever else Prime provides these day.

Legend 5
Legend 5

One way to get "free" is to go on a site that allows you to earn Amazon vouchers and use those to buy a Now box with passes 😉
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.