cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Five things we learnt from Season 7, Episode 3 of The Walking Dead. WARNING: SPOILERS INSIDE

1 1 5,516

We’re on easy street! And it feels so sweet! Coz the world is but a treat when you’re on easy street… Unless you’re Daryl, of course.

After the brutality of episode 1 and the weirdness of episode 2, we were treated to something completely different last night. And yes, it was more pleasant to experience than a dog food sandwich.

Here are five things we learnt from episode 3…

Daryl doesn’t like children’s music
TWD_611_0203.jpg
I’m not entirely sure how Jim Bianco and Petra Haden feel about their song being used during torture, but they must be loving the sudden surge in Spotify and iTunes royalties.

Held captive by The Saviours, Daryl must have been fearing physical torture and constant threats of violence. Instead, he spends most of his time naked, gets fed terrible food and is haunted by loud, obnoxious music. It’s like a lads’ holiday to Zante, but without the sun tan.

Overseeing this unorthodox form of torture is Dwight, the man we first ran into in Season 6. Dwight seems like a reluctant villain and may yet have some good left in him, but we’ll come to that later. For now, Daryl had better get used to being on easy street.

The Saviours are mean
TWD_616_0001.jpg
We knew this of course.

This week, we got to take a look into their main compound for the first time. For all the brutality and malice (wasn’t that The Jam inspired intro brilliant?!), there is a structure to the place. Essentially, everyone worships Negan, but a few of them get DVD players.

Not content with butchering two fan favourites in episode 1, The Saviours are now setting about breaking down Daryl. Daryl is a tough nut to crack, but the baddies have all the tools they need. The tools in this case are dog food and a stereo.

Outside the compound, subjects are forced to ‘play for points’, which seems to involve taking buckets off the heads of walkers. I have no idea why this is, but it looks about as depressing as a bad game of Monopoly and almost as frustrating. Still, the apocalypse probably gets boring, and entertainment is at the forefront of The Saviours experience.

It’s no surprise that someone from the compound ends up running away and, although Dwight tracks him down, he confesses that there is nothing to enjoy there. He seems to have seen the light that Negan is a bit of a tool. Will the others realise?

Negan doesn’t change his clothes
TWD_616_0080.jpg
That jacket must STINK.

I mean, we can hear it creaking every time the guy moves. Given that we’ve never seen the guy out of his ‘uniform’, I can imagine things get a bit funky under the leather. It’s a good thing Negan’s closest ally is a baseball bat which - although cursed with an extreme thirst – does not have a sense of smell.

Perhaps this is a logistical thing. The Saviours are expected to kneel down to Negan every time he walks past, and maybe he’s giving everyone a warning by ensuring they can smell him every time he turns a corner. Not that anyone is going to complain – catching up with Lucille doesn’t seem like a whole lot of fun.

Dwight and Negan are not cool
TWD_703_0041.jpg
Maybe Dwight isn’t a bad guy. Maybe he’s just had badness thrust upon him.

In Season 6, Dwight and his wife Sherry steal from Daryl as they decide to return to the harshness of Negan and co. They saw no escape and thought it best to accept the pain by returning to The Saviours. Dwight and Sherry escaped with their lives, but barely maintained their humanity.

Sherry was forced to marry Negan (worst arranged marriage ever), while Dwight had to just accept it (worst best man ever), before getting half his face burnt (worst ironing board ever). For all his compliance and obedience, you can just tell that Dwight isn’t quite ready to kiss and make up with Negan just yet.

Of course, he says he’s ‘cool’ with Negan, but haven’t we all agreed to do questionable things to impress our boss? Granted, having someone marry your wife and burn your face is worse than staying until 7pm to finish that presentation, but it’s similar.

However, I think Dwight playing the long game. There is a twitch of agreement when the escapee says that everyone can turn against Negan (he is just one man after all) and I don’t think Dwight’s loyalty is bulletproof. Daryl has decided to resist as long as he can, but I wonder if Dwight’s more opportunistic viewpoint will be the right one in the end.

Daryl is still Daryl. Just.
TWD_612_0250.jpg
Daryl’s not going to turn, is he?

You have more chance of selling me double glazing than getting Daryl to change allegiance. It looks like he came close at points during the episode, but his loyalty to Rick and the group is unshakeable. I mean, anyone who chooses dog food sandwiches over TVs and actual clothes must be pretty set in his ways.

That doesn’t mean there won’t be further tests. We can expect worse food, worse music and worse living conditions – I’m surprised Daryl hasn’t been asked to pay London-style rent prices for his accommodation - but I think his stubbornness will pay dividends in the end.

Ultimately, it depends on what the next choice of song is. If it’s ‘Blue’ by Eiffel 65, I expect Daryl to turn within three plays. Until then, he’ll have to stomach the type of place which would rank bottom of a search of a hostels on Trip Advisor.

Stay strong, Daryl.

All images: Gene Page/AMC

Remember, you can watch The Walking Dead live on NOW TV at 9pm on Mondays via the 'Live TV' section, or on Catch Up from 10pm the same night

Labels (1)
1 Comment
Andy Legend 5
Legend 5

Living with Negan can't be that bad, they've got 'Who's the Boss' on VHS and I used to love watching that! A couple of Chum sarnies is worth it for the boxset.

0 Likes