cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Entertainment Pass Changes: We are losing 3 channels

So let me get this straight,

You are removing 3 channels and you are adding only 1 and you expect us to pay the same amount?!?

How is this fair? You should add at least another channel like  SyFy or AMC.

149 Replies
Legend 5
Legend 5

Ok,  let's get one thing straight even without the new pass we would have seen Disney go.  That would have left people with two kids channels.   Instead they now have the choice between none and 6 channels.  It is in the public domain that the smart box has freeview.  I don't know however if the restrictions on the kid pass as per the blog means that kids will not be able to access Freeview on a smart box.   

It will be interesting to see if Now issues gift cards for the kids content.  An obvious venue would be Toys R US in my opinion.  Say perhaps £15 for 6 months (as their other gift cards are £15 or £25)

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

oops. you do know you have to have a tv licence with Now TV.  if you watch live TV no matter how broadcast you reqire one. Also guys what's all the fuss BBC, ITV and other services have seperated Kid's TV from regular TV for a while now in fact the Beep only show childrens shows on dedicated channels. £2.99 might hurt some but the majory will either pay it or simply not botter.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

just a follow up to my previuous post. There is a loophole in the law that states if you only watch on demand services you do not need a TV Licence however this loophole is about to be closed as it is unfair to the honest people of this country. Now TV is not a on demand service it provides on demand content, but it is a service privider like Sky (dish), Virgin, BT etc. hope this clears things up. Regards Alan

Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User  I am puzzled how is it dishonest to only use on demand tv?    That is what you are implying in this.  Now (on demand) /ITV hub et al (excl Iplayer)/NetFlix/Amazon Prime are all legitimate services for people to use without a licence. I fail to see how it is "unfair to the honest people".  For the record I have a licence.

@Anonymous User wrote:

just a follow up to my previuous post. There is a loophole in the law that states if you only watch on demand services you do not need a TV Licence however this loophole is about to be closed as it is unfair to the honest people of this country. Now TV is not a on demand service it provides on demand content, but it is a service privider like Sky (dish), Virgin, BT etc. hope this clears things up. Regards Alan

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

that is not how it is meant and it was writtern with a light harted intent if you're insulted I appoligise. The problem with the iplayer and now itv hub is they were intended to be on demand service only, however these items now allow you to watch live channel broadcast, which means when someone who says they only watch iplayer and so on you can't prove you are only watching on demand, and it has been seen as a way of watching tv without a licence and this is the loophole that is going to be closed. Now TV has a duty to send the your details to whoever it is when you subscribe to there service as you require a TV licence to use the service. as I said earlier Now TV is a service provider not a pure on demand provider, I think although please correct me Amazon is pure on demand content provider. kind regards

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

that is not how it is meant and it was writtern with a light harted intent if you're insulted I appoligise. The problem with the iplayer and now itv hub is they were intended to be on demand service only, however these items now allow you to watch live channel broadcast, which means when someone who says they only watch iplayer and so on you can't prove you are only watching on demand, and it has been seen as a way of watching tv without a licence and this is the loophole that is going to be closed. Now TV has a duty to send the your details to whoever it is when you subscribe to there service as you require a TV licence to use the service. as I said earlier Now TV is a service provider not a pure on demand provider, I think although please correct me Amazon is pure on demand content provider. kind regards

@Anonymous User don't worry, there is no offence takenSmiley Happy

Although I have just noticed mistake. My dictation software made. I meant to say OnDemand loophole not 'undermanned'. I have a condition which affects my hands and makes me a slow typist, so as a result I use dictation software, but sometimes this software can make mistakes sometimes with hilarious results. I must admit

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

oops. you do know you have to have a tv licence with Now TV.  if you watch live TV no matter how broadcast you reqire one. Also guys what's all the fuss BBC, ITV and other services have seperated Kid's TV from regular TV for a while now in fact the Beep only show childrens shows on dedicated channels. £2.99 might hurt some but the majory will either pay it or simply not botter.

Hi ,@Anonymous User

To clarify, you need a TV licence to watch now TV is live/linear channels. You don't need a TV licence to watch now TVs demand content.

Although I should point out that the law is going to be changed shortly so that a TV licence is required to watch BBC iPlayer content and that's because the TV licence funds everything the BBC does including iPlayer, so the OnDemand loophole is going to be closed, at least with regard to the BBC. This is one of those situations where they have got you either way, I'm afraid.

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

HI commander6, please don't take offense but is that not what I just wrote. LOL Smiley Very Happy

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

HI commander6, please don't take offense but is that not what I just wrote. LOL Smiley Very Happy

Hi@Anonymous User 

No offence taken . Smiley Happy

okay, that is exactly what he said I've just reread your post realised I miss read it the first time. Smiley Sad 

Maybe I need to go and have another cup of coffee before I start posting on the forum today Smiley LOL

It will be interesting to see how people react to the undermanned loophole been closed with regard to BBC content. I think a lot of people will think that the change in the law is not enforceable/traceable, but it's a lot more enforceable than people think. In this day and age, so the powers that be will catch up with you if you don't have a licence.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

@nickmorc wrote:

Been using Amazon Prime for a while now and do have to say its rather good, however Now Tv always gets the most viewing in our house.

I do like some of their original content, the man in the high castle was very good viewing and I can thank them for my addiction to Arrow 🙂

@Anonymous User I like arrow as well, but it's not my favourite. The flash is my favourite. I haven't quite formed an opinion on legends of tomorrow. Yet

Arrow has been renewed for season five, by the way Smiley Happy although I wouldn't be surprised if season five is the last season. As the writers of arrow are starting to receive quite a bit of criticism in the US over some of the things they've done. They have managed to annoy quite a lot of the fans of the DC comic book universe with some of the things they've done. I won't say any more. In case I accidentally end up providing spoilers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just sounds like a way to squeeze more money out of the customers to me
I have two kids under the age of 10 so now I will have to pay extra for them to keep watching!!
Which ever way you look at it I will be paying more for the same content
Also I got a mail saying I would have been entitled to a 4 month trial but my pass had been cancelled which is rubbish

I have simply applied a voucher code to my pass that I got with a new NOWTV box I bought, it wasn't free I still paid for it!!

Cant say I'm impressed with this at all, lets see how impressed I am when they announce the kids pass price??

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I completely agree with Nellelph's last post. no more needs to be said.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User it's £2.99 a month and there is a 14 day trial available. (source)

Anonymous User
Not applicable

i cant seem to understnad what made them pick nat geo wild rather than normal national georgaphic 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think the Nat Geo choice was a good one. Where did people get the info the kids channels were going I have not seen anything from Sky/Now anywhere apart from the rumors on here? and when I look at the box today everything is still there.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User it's on the blog, there was a press release from Sky and there is this page www.nowtv.com/kids

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank You, I did not know about that.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

What the? £2.99 per month for kids pass... Thats a lot...

When the SkyUK Dish service ran a Kids free Subscription Losing all the Kids channels saved you £1 per month...

Yes, £12 a year for no kids channels and that was All of CN and Nick channels dropped...

O and Disney does not want any rivals to its own service via IPTV... that its launched in UK theres a Big Push to sell that service...

Im expecting SkyGO to lose Disney on demand movie content...

nickmorc
Expert 2

For me, the loss of the kids channnels is not an issue, but I do undertand the issue people with kids have with this change.

My gripe, is that I would have like to have seen something better than Nat Geo Wild, would it not be better to have the History or the normal Nat Geo channel ?

I know you will never please everyone.

The BT Total Entertainment Package does appear to offer lots of channels including kids for £10 a month. However, Fox has recently been removed and  Sky Atlantic, Sky One, Living, Sky Arts etc are not available on this platform.

People looking to shift, could have a look at Netflix, which has loads of everything. 

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

What the? £2.99 per month for kids pass... Thats a lot...

It's not that expensive . In fact, I think it's less than BT and talktalk charge to get the kids channels on their TV services.

Looking at the BT website. The basic kids pack only gives you on demand content is 3 pounds a month if you want the kids live/linear channels you actually have to have kids extra and to get that you have to have their standard entertainment pass as well, which means other services might actually be more expensive than nowTV. Especially if you factor in that you would have to have broadband from BT as well and they are not the cheapest when it comes to broadband

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/bt-tv/?s_intcid=con_fly_pns_tv

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Anonymous User it's £2.99 a month and there is a 14 day trial available. (source)

Good. Should I expect the cost of the entertainment package to go down by £2.99 ?

Maybe time to try netflix instead.