cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Download an episode

HI.

I am watching Game of Thrones season 1. I am travelling and wondering if it can be downloaded to watch when there is not internet connection. I have the basic entertainment pass

Thanks! 

8 REPLIES 8
Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi, @Anonymous User If you are using a suitable device (iPad, iPhone, Android phone for example) and can see the download icon next to the episode(s) you want to download then yes, you can. If the device you’re using doesn’t show the download icon next to the episode, then you can’t. 

I’ve just checked GoT on my iPad and can confirm that all episodes are downloadable, subject to the above caveat.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thank you. I can see that on my iPhone but I won’t like to download it there but my laptop. It seems weird that you can download in phone and not in laptop?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

laptops (tablets.. etc) do wrk if can run android app,couldnt tell you bout macbook & ios apps thou.. however ther does seem to be issue with how long til (android) app allows you to view downloaded til expire though (unless it something to do with remaining logged in as is suggested by online help pages?) as I downloaded BlackKlansman last nite @Anonymous User:30 approx & was 2thirds of the way watchin it when it disapeered despite only bein 5a.m wen its supposed to be48hrs! Anyone else xperienced?

RoyB
Legend

On this iPad (iOS) I have GoT S8E3 downloaded, to see if I can peer through the murk any better here, and it is offering me GoT S8E6 for download (indeed all of the episodes) if I wanted it/them.

Admittedly, that’s not a Movie, but I’m sure the principle is the same.

I suspect that NowTV think that the options for, er, jailbreaking downloads to Wintel devices might be a bit too readily available to permit this on any such.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Correction to my 12-05-2019 posting above, where I said:-

When you start it, it will phone home to record that you have started it, so you can’t be completely offline; (it only takes a few seconds, you can do it over 3/4G, and NowTV won’t care where in the world you are, but to me it rather negates the point of downloading to watch offline);

I should have tried this myself, instead of relying on a report by someone else; I just put my iPad in Airplane Mode, which switches off all forms of outside communication, and it perfectly well started playing my download. Ho hum.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Have found on my Android Tablet when you switch on the tablet and start the Now TV app (even if you left it signed in when the tablet was powered down) it asks you to sign in and it wont allow you to watch the downloaded content without connecting to the Internet (which is not possible on many Aircraft when you are told to put the tablet/mobile device into airplane mode). Have also found the app does not allow you to log in on some wi-fi connections (e.g National Express Wi-Fi)

Don't know whether the iPad/Iphone app is any different to the Android app but despite multiple attempts the log in box kept appearing whatever I did and it didn't play the download content ( A friend had Amazon Prime and he did not need to login to that and I could watch downloaded Google Play content without logging in)

RoyB
Legend

Hi @Anonymous User 

OK, I’ve done some digging. At least for Entertainment on this iPad.

Cant say if it’s different for Movies, or for Android, but you can tell me if it is, perhaps:-

I started on the website, and tried to play Big Little Lies Season 1 Episode 1. It told me it could not play it there, but could on the App, with the options to download it, or to say ‘I already have it’. As I did, I chose the latter.

This took me to BLL 1/1, which I then chose to download, rather than play.

Now I was all set up. 

I tried to sign out of the App, but it warned me that if I did, the download would be deleted. So I stayed signed in, but left the App for the Settings app on the iPad.

Where I then put the iPad into Airplane mode; no WiFi, no 3/4G, no Bluetooth, probably.

Then I went back to the NowTV App. (Not to the website, which obviously would not work in Airplane Mode).

Here, one or two options did try to tell me I couldn’t do anything without the internet available.

But I persevered to reach where my download was, during which a box came up on the screen, as shown, warning me I could not do anything with the internet off - except to watch any downloads I might have there.

So I chose my download, and started it, and it was fine, running with no trouble at all with the iPad in Airplane mode.

Can you try the above, and see if/how your experiences differ, if at all, on Movies on Android?

If you have an Ent Pass, can you also try an Ent programme?

FAC08D51-B4F0-4C77-A4F2-11E978BDF34C.png

RoyB
Legend

Also note, beside @Mark_Weinreb ‘s good advice:-

You have thirty days to watch the download;

Once started, you have 48 hours in which to finish it;

When you start it, it will phone home to record that you have started it, so you can’t be completely offline; (it only takes a few seconds, you can do it over 3/4G, and NowTV won’t care where in the world you are, but to me it rather negates the point of downloading to watch offline);

If you log out of NowTV, your download will evaporate, so don’t actively Sign Out; 

You can download a given programme a second time, but no more than that.

Apart from the above rules, it’s all quite straightforward Smiley Tongue