cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Discovery UK are removing Discovery channel!

According to Radio Times, we are going to be losing access to the Discovery Channel within a month, how will we be compensated if this happens? As I'm guessing we should get a replacement channel to take its place http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-01-26/discovery-uk-is-threatening-to-pull-its-channels-from-sky-...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

55 REPLIES 55
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi B

You know, as I was reading through your post it struck me that your idea would be more expensive then you admitted your way would be more expensive, that's why it won't fly.

Although some of us like some programmes more than others, I guess that most of us would like to keep the variety of programmes available at a reasonable cost. Besides, only watching one genre type would eventually get boring.

However, if a majority of NowTV customers like your idea they will vote for it, I personally will not because it will either cost customers more or the abandonment of the NowTV platform.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

While I love the NOWTV platform, it really should just have Sky channels and programmes.  I'd love to see all the other TV providers move to their own subscription systems, so we can move forward from the Sky and Virgin "pay for more than you watch" monopoly they hold.  Yes, it may be more expensive individually, but for this who only watch specific programmes it would be ideal.

@Anonymous User  100% agree.  I find the virgin prcing very frustrating and it tends to be a case of getting all 250 or so channels (FullhouseTV) to get the two or three channels i actually want.  Now TV has freed me from most of this as I get Sky Arts, Fox and Sky Atlantic here and just get the most basic  player TV package, just so I can access sports channels as and when.

Apart from the annual Amazon Prime membership, I swop in and out of Netflix and Now Ents/Movies as it suits.  Having let my Now TV Ents lapse in recent weeks, I will be back for the season 6 of the Walking Dead next week as Amazon only goes to season 5.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yeah , please give us another rubbish TV channel like Viceland...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

How about replacing the discovery channel with the history channel? Just my idea.. who would like that?

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hey Danie

You got my vote.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

How about replacing the discovery channel with the history channel? Just my idea.. who would like that?

I don't watch either on Virgin, so not too bothered.  And I could get both via TV player plus on a Fire stick.   Personally I'd rather Sky Sports Mix as it is only available via Sky & Virgin and nowhere else.  Alternatively add some more Sky content to on demand or extend the viewing periods.  Every episode of The Simpsons and Futurama along with long future dated expiry on GoT, Westworld and Walking Dead.  Maybe provide Six Feet Under.   

Anonymous User
Not applicable

wish people get there facts right always quoting greeedy sky, fact is discovery wanted close to 1 billion pounds for its and is all over the web and sky said you taking the pee, we over pay as it is.

also read reason behind all this discovery are losing subs in america hence trying make money back up in other regions but i cant find that story tonight but was on web if people want to go look!

suggest some people go read the news before shouting off

http://www.techradar.com/news/your-sky-subscription-is-about-to-reduce-by-13-channels-heres-why

all im interested in if it does go what does now tv intended to replace it with or will they just drop us a channel if so i'll be off

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

You know, I like watching the Discovery channel and I think the photography is brilliant, don't so much like the American accented voice over though.

However, if and when Discovery leave NowTV I will not go chasing after them because if what you posted is true, i.e.  losing subs in America and want to make up their loses, then I will not go chasing after them.

If they have made bad business decisions in the US then that does not give them the right to try rip us off here in the UK.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

all im interested in if it does go what does now tv intended to replace it with or will they just drop us a channel if so i'll be off

If they were dropping Sky Atlantic I would be off, but as for the other channels, I could probably live without them even if they  weren't replaced even Sky Arts.    Would be nice to get a replacement, but it won't impact my subscription or lack of. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I really hope that Discovery Channel can remain on Now TV as they are one of the best channels on it. I would like Eurosport to be available on Now TV in the sport section. I have welcomed the addition of Viceland and Nat Geo Wild to the mix. I would also like to see History Channel and National Geographical Channel on Now TV. Perhaps it is time that the sport rights had a cap on the cost so other channels are not lost.