cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Discovery UK are removing Discovery channel!

According to Radio Times, we are going to be losing access to the Discovery Channel within a month, how will we be compensated if this happens? As I'm guessing we should get a replacement channel to take its place http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-01-26/discovery-uk-is-threatening-to-pull-its-channels-from-sky-...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

55 REPLIES 55
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Don't think discovery is as good as it used to be seems to be variations on a theme and national geographic have upped their game a lot in the last few years.  Same old story too many channels not enough content.

ken242
Expert

are you going to add new channels to take there place at anytime soon ?

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ken242 wrote:

are you going to add new channels to take there place at anytime soon ?

@ken242 we will just have to wait and see what happenes with Discovery first. 😞

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@4268 wrote:
even if Sky do come to deal, no guarantee price will enable it to stay here.

@4268 If it was a case of paying any extra per month then I would rather not have Discovery.  I mainly have Now TV Entertainment for the Sky Atlantic programming that isn't available on Virgin.    This is a bit of an own goal by Discovery/Eurosport.  I would have thought it was in their interest to be on Sky no matter what, but if they aren't then they should have the Discovery bundle that thay could sell in the same way BT Sport do, or at least a streaming app.  Sky probably won't care too much about the loss of these channels, they could set up equivalents quite easily.

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User to be honest I don't think Discovery want to go. In their pages they are actively trying to engage support from Sky group customers. What we do need to be aware of is that if Sky pay more Now still might lose the channel. As to what to replace it with, there are several channels folk would like. Ideally it should be a similar channel. As for redress to customers that would be difficult to administer, some folk have applied vouchers, some are using gift cards others are just paying £6.99 a month. It would be difficult to say who should get what.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

It is a shame that the issue surrounding Discovery channel and its associated channels may be disappearing has come up so suddenly and is likely to dissapear in the coming days. I expect that I am not alone in subscribing to Now TV based on the discovery channel content. If this channel was to dissapear I would no longer see Now TV as a worthwhile option as I could not justify the costs for the other programming available. I do hope that Sky sort this issue out and the partnership long continues. For me personally the only like for like replacement of Discovery if it was to go would be the history channel. Sky would certainly have to offer alternatives of a similar quality or future rates would need to be adequately adjusted for reduction in content. Otherwise I suspect a large amount of viewers would seek alternatives.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Gazsiggee wrote:
I expect that I am not alone in subscribing to Now TV based on the discovery channel content. If this channel was to dissapear I would no longer see Now TV as a worthwhile option as I could not justify the costs for the other programming available.  Otherwise I suspect a large amount of viewers would seek alternatives.

TV Player Plus on an Amazon Fire Stick costs less per month (£5.99) and you can have a 30 day free trial.  If Discovery is the main driver then this is probably the best alternative.  It also throws in Eurosport and other Discovery channels as well.
I'm not sure many people will leave Now TV for the Discovery channel,  The Sky 1/Sky Atlantic/FOX content is big draw.  Looking at the Most Popular shows under Entertainment, none from the Discovery channel feature in the 34 listed.

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User I am similar to you. I use Now to supplement Virgin. Movies are cheaper here too.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

apparently as of the 1st of Feb Discovery will not be availble to watch, i dont know about you but this is my favorite channel!! i will have to leave now tv after 3 years because of this.

im furious with greedy sky and will switch to virgin in order to watch all the best programs, like Gold Rush.

Christo Doyle Resigned from discovery yesterday, i wonder if this has anything to do with it.

can all discovery fans please make a conserted effort to get there voices heard with sky - #SaveDiscovery

Please Tweet @SkyHelpTeam #SaveDiscovery

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Or ask Discovery to do a deal with FreeSat and Freeview - they don't need Sky's platform any more.  Especially now that Sky themselves are moving to a dish-free service in the coming years.

While I love the NOWTV platform, it really should just have Sky channels and programmes.  I'd love to see all the other TV providers move to their own subscription systems, so we can move forward from the Sky and Virgin "pay for more than you watch" monopoly they hold.  Yes, it may be more expensive individually, but for this who only watch specific programmes it would be ideal.

Cheers,

Brian