cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Discovery UK are removing Discovery channel!

According to Radio Times, we are going to be losing access to the Discovery Channel within a month, how will we be compensated if this happens? As I'm guessing we should get a replacement channel to take its place http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-01-26/discovery-uk-is-threatening-to-pull-its-channels-from-sky-...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

55 REPLIES 55
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I guess that if you really want Discovery there is always TV Player Plus on Amazon Fire Sticks.  Free trial for a month then £5.99/month.  The whole dispute may have blown over by then.

Interesting to see this development.   Discovery/Eurosport are making a pretty bold step.  Will be interesting to see how determined they are given that the bulk of their UK income most likely comes from their Sky agreement.   ITV seem to be developing their paywall with Box Office on the way.   I suspect the big Virgin/Sky bundles will soon disintegrate and there will be numerous packages from varied media companies.  Sadly if it goes the way of sport, it will mean three or four subscriptions instead of one ;-(

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'd rather have nat geo than discovery definitely not the history channel.  Maybe syfy.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Nat Geo would be good to have instead of disovery

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'd rather they used the money saved to keep box sets like GoT, Walking Dead, Westworld etc. permanently on.  

I would have thought that Discovery/Eurosport would have had a hub like Netflix/HBONow for all of their channels before taking this action.  Well a better one than TV Player.

BicBasher
Elite

@Anonymous User wrote:

I would have thought that Discovery/Eurosport would have had a hub like Netflix/HBONow for all of their channels before taking this action.  Well a better one than TV Player.

@Anonymous User Eurosport have their own player, which is currently £5.99 for a day pass or 12 months for £19.99 (£59.99 from Feb 1). I believe you can cast from it too?

Networking Spec - ISP: TalkTalk VDSL2 @ 76mbps | Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen, Chromecast 3rd Gen WiFi, Motorola Moto G9 (Android 11), Dell PC with Windows 10 Home Edition using Now TV Player.
Legend 5
Legend 5
@Anonymous User if Virgin is anything to go by H2 appears to be cheaper than History so that would be more cost effective. (H2 is on L, you need XL for History)
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Think if Discovery does leave, Now tv needs to be competitive with what it hopefully puts in the entertainment pass.May even be the case in the long term as since Now tv launched there have been new services from the likes of Tv player,Bt & Talktalk which have cheap channel packages.

Have noticed in press release that the owners of Discovery mention Sky do not want to pay more due to overpaying for football.But dont mention that via Eurosport they need more money due to what they spent on the Olympics and that they have had this row with Talktalk and left and also on other platforms abroad.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi now that the discovery channel is being removed can we please add the hallmark channel to now tv.

that would complete my viewing

Legend 5
Legend 5
Do you mean Universal? @Anonymous User
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Legend 5
Legend 5
It does seem a bit like discovery are to an extent cutting off their nose to spite face. If course even if Sky do come to deal, no guarantee price will enable it to stay here.