cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Cannot watch BBC iplayer, 4OD or Demand 5

This problem with my nowtv box has lasted over a month and totally fed up with it:

None of the following will play:

BBC iplayer: buffer symbol for ages, then error message: Sorry: timeout. There has been a problem playing this programme.

4od - adverts play - buffer symbol for ages - then error message: This content is currently unavailable. Please try again later

Demand 5 - adverts play - programme sponsor's message plays - then buffer symbol for ever, no error msg

Now, before you say: reset the box, check your internet connection, blah blah, the following do play:

Nowtv

itv on demand

BBC sport

BBC news

Troubleshooting: i have already done the following several times:
reset the nowtv box with factory reset, and reinstalled tv channels
rebooted my internet modem/router
removed firewall from my modem

My internet is fibre broadband provided by xln telecom, tested and verified at very high speed
no problem with internet access at all

Any bright ideas?

44 REPLIES 44
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am still having problems with my NOW TV box. I complained to NOW TV on live chat stating that I had reset the box and that the software was up to date and I was sent a replacement box.

Unfortunately this new box has the same problem.

Sometimes all apps will work properly but at the moment on both boxes the following is not working :- NOW TV, BBC iplayer, 4OD and Demand5. On these, BBC iplayer will just show a blank screen, the others will allow me to select a programme, it will then show adverts and sponsor message before the programme but not the programme itself which is what I actually want to watch.

From the posts on this forum this appears to be a fairly widespread problem. Why do NOW TV not acknowledge that there is a problem with these apps and bring pressure on the developers to resolve the situation. They could always have a chat with the developers of the ITV player as this works every time.

As far as I can see, NOW TV are selling a product which is not as described and is not fit for purpose.

Why will NOW TV not recognise this?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

I am still having problems with my NOW TV box. I complained to NOW TV on live chat stating that I had reset the box and that the software was up to date and I was sent a replacement box.

Unfortunately this new box has the same problem.

Sometimes all apps will work properly but at the moment on both boxes the following is not working :- NOW TV, BBC iplayer, 4OD and Demand5. On these, BBC iplayer will just show a blank screen, the others will allow me to select a programme, it will then show adverts and sponsor message before the programme but not the programme itself which is what I actually want to watch.

From the posts on this forum this appears to be a fairly widespread problem. Why do NOW TV not acknowledge that there is a problem with these apps and bring pressure on the developers to resolve the situation. They could always have a chat with the developers of the ITV player as this works every time.

As far as I can see, NOW TV are selling a product which is not as described and is not fit for purpose.

Why will NOW TV not recognise this?

They wont put pressure on them Because the apps will be Removed full stop... "If" NowTV become more trouble than there worth developing for...

App removal does and can happen..

Youtube are pulling their apps From lots of devices that CAN NOT support the new frameworks... 

So removal of support for Apps on devices DOES happen...

When MLB app was having issues with NowTV,  The app was DELETED from NowTV for months...  

It returned when the app was updated... 

BBC, ITV, CH4, CH5 are not required to support this Third party independant box with there own independant applications, they support them at their it their own whim...

They did not support Roku or NowTV for YEARS after the release... CH5 only released an app because the platform developed support for HTML5 framework apps but HTML5 apps are more CPU and Memory and ISP intestive...   

BBC and ITV are actualy planning their own RIVAL IPTV box service to release again... Think "youview2" real name to be announced...

NowTV are not going to push for their removal because....

Channel 5 still works..

Channel 4 content works when there are not encoder errors at Channel4s end..

ITV does work for users as its not even a HTML5 app but a Roku developed application with bucket loads of adds...

BBC Iplayer does work but is realy realy slow so the users need to go realy slow with it...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I still have exactly the same problem. Since mid September I have not been able to watch any TV, only movies. Now a couple of weeks ago the movies have stopped working too, so now I have a nowtv box that is totally useless.

The joke is I contacted live chat and they told me if only I had notified them 2 weeks ago they could have replaced my box free of charge. But I did - I posted this problem in October, after being disillusioned with a previous live chat with now tv which did not resolve the problem. So 2 days ago they told me I could buy a new box for £9.99. Guess what? I went to Asda and it was £20!!

So I paid twice as much for a replacement box - and guess what again? It still does not work!

I have a perfect fibre internet connection, signal and speed is excellent and yet no service via the nowtv box.

I can sign in on my laptop and get every channel, so the only conclusion is that the nowtv box either does not work properly or there is some technical glitch between it and my XLN internet. I have raised this before as surely this would be a known issue, but now tv just fob me off with "we cannot be responsible for third party apps". Well as sky movies don't work now, and that is not a 3rd party - I'm not sure of the ownership specifics but sky co-brand the nowtv box, so it's high time they sorted this ###### out.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User 

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

I'm very sorry to hear that you have had a bad experience with our service.

Can you please tell me what exactly is happening when you're trying to watch Sky Movies? 

The NOW TV Box without any bundles that can be purchased through our website (however is currently out of stock) is £9.99. I'm sorry that this information wasn't provided to you. 

Kind regards,

Birgit

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable
When I try to watch sky movies I get error message: "sorry something went
wrong. We're working on it. Please come back later or go to
www.nowtv.vom/help (100)

Similar error with all tv channels.

The only thing I can now watch via the nowtv box is sky sports with a day
pass.

As stated, brand new box, wireless signal is excellent, Network pings
disabled, have tried every troubleshooting step possible. It is hard to
understand there could be an error my end as I can watch sky sports. And I
used to be able to watch sky movies no problem until 2 weeks ago. Nothing
has changed in my set up here, so again points to something your end.

Karl-F
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Anonymous User , 

Thanks for getting in touch. 

I am sorry for any inconvenience this has caused. 

Can you please let us know what you are trying to watch when this error appears?

I look forward to hearing from you. 

Kind Regards, 

Karl 

NOW TV Team 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

As I said: any sky movie, any tv channel.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just a thought but if your credit/debit card details registered to Now TV have expired would this make any other apps unavailable?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Just a thought but if your credit/debit card details registered to Now TV have expired would this make any other apps unavailable?

Nope the only time card details are checked for being valid is the time of entry and payments....

If you never pay for any thing again or Don't use free bee month offers, the card can be expired...

It Just looks to see if they are present not if they are still valid for payment...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

demo of how 4OD does "normaly" work...

Contains TBBT spoilers..

Content will Auto FF but No ADVERTS were cut in example...