cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Cannot watch BBC iplayer, 4OD or Demand 5

This problem with my nowtv box has lasted over a month and totally fed up with it:

None of the following will play:

BBC iplayer: buffer symbol for ages, then error message: Sorry: timeout. There has been a problem playing this programme.

4od - adverts play - buffer symbol for ages - then error message: This content is currently unavailable. Please try again later

Demand 5 - adverts play - programme sponsor's message plays - then buffer symbol for ever, no error msg

Now, before you say: reset the box, check your internet connection, blah blah, the following do play:

Nowtv

itv on demand

BBC sport

BBC news

Troubleshooting: i have already done the following several times:
reset the nowtv box with factory reset, and reinstalled tv channels
rebooted my internet modem/router
removed firewall from my modem

My internet is fibre broadband provided by xln telecom, tested and verified at very high speed
no problem with internet access at all

Any bright ideas?

44 REPLIES 44
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi, you've probably already tried this too, but have you checked in settings under software update? I had to update my box manually.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

try  repositioning  your nowtv box realative to the wifi router. the nowtv box dont have an external antenna. Unless you have a faulty box I can think of no other reason why the apps dont work as they all work for me  in London - but my routerer is only 6 or so feet way  from the now tv box so gets a good signal. in My home in the same  room I have parts that are almost dead spots for wifi and lose the sognal now and then. For web browsing these may go un noticed but not for   systems that need to keep a real time connection.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User   I believe it's possible to check your wi-fi signal by accessing a hidden wi-fi menu on the NOW TV box, at least then you can rule out any problems with your wi-fi connection to the NOW TV box.  Using the remote you need to press:

Home Button x5
FF x1
Play x1
RW x1
Play x1
FF x1

The buttons do need to be pressed in fairly quick succession.  The greater the RSSI value the better the signal strength, from what I know a value of -50 would be good and say -75 would be acceptable.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice.

I am glad to report that I now have all my catch-up apps working Smiley Happy

I went to the Settings menu and did a software update and this presumably did the trick. I had not done this before as I assumed that when I performed the first initial installation and connection of my box I would have received the latest version of the software.

My Sky Sports day passes are working fine as well, so am a happy customer!

PS: Can anyone confirm......Is the I-Player application on NOW TV the full version, or a stripped down version. I tried using the search facility to find Dad's Army, and the screen message said "no matches found". I tried The Apprentice and the same result.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User the iPlayer is a full version, but an old one and at the moment isn't getting the 30 day catchup you'll find on other devices. The BBC say they are working on it.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks artsea,

But I was searching for Dad's Army that was transmitted only on Saturday, so the search option should have found it shouldn't it?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The actualy search i've found is a bit hit and miss.

Perhaps you'd find them if you looked via the schedule option?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi vatman

Really interesting that you had exactly the same problem, and pleased to hear yours is now solved. Mine remains unsolved. I've tried everything including your system/software update, but no joy. Mine shows software version: 5.5 Build: 4.30. Do you mind checking and letting me know what your says? Thanks.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This is exactly the same problem as I am having. For something I bought primarily for catch up services which it appears it cannot provide it is very disappointing. When i went on live chat to NOW TV they stated the box aappears fine but it would be problem of the networks who supply the apps. Does this mean there could be bugs in the apps which need to be fixed? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User 

Thanks for your post & welcome to the forum.  Unfortunately, at the end of the day, it is the app developer's responsiblity to sort out bugs with the apps.  However, there are a few things you can try to rule out any issues with the NOW TV box.  The first thing I would suggest is to check under the box Setting menu for updates, they don't always happen automatically.  After that it's worth just rebooting the box by switching it off at the mains, waiting 30s or so & then powering it back up again.

I'm not sure how long you've had your box, but it could also be worth doing a hard reset by putting a paperclip in the button at the back of the box until the NOW TV display appears after the blue screen on your TV.  Unfortuntely, after this you will need to enter all your details again, but it could be worth giving it a go just to rule out any issues with the box.  Hope this has been of help.