Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

All 4 problems

Hi there,

Is anyone having a problem with All 4?
Recently on my nowtv box I cannot watch full programmes. The adverts work fine and sometimes I can watch the first part of a program but then it fails with the message 'this content is currently unavailable. Please try again later'. I've updated now TV to the latest software, deleted and reinstalled all 4, and turned off pings. All of my other apps (I player, now tv, YouTube, ted talks) work fine, and all 4 works on my phone. It's not restricted to any particular program.
(Itv occasionally has problems but it used to on my white box too)
I've raised this with all 4, they've escalated it but being as they didn't have a straightforward answer I wondered whether it might be something box related.
My broadband is good (15 Mbps on average).

Thanks for any help.
177 REPLIES 177
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you, sorry to be thick - so what do I do now to get it?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User on the NOW TV box head to My Apps, then All 4 (brightly coloured Channel 4 logo). 

Whilst inside there is no "Walter Presents" section you'll find most of the shows in Categories under World Drama.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Many thanks!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I would love to see both QAF UK and QAF US on Nowtv.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User QAF UK is a Channel 4 show, you can find it on All4

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Brilliant cheers 👍🏻
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I was trying to watch the "Kabul kitchen" show on channel 4 that has been advertised.

The first half played ok and then at the advert break it became stuck and said the content was not available at the moment. If I went in and out the amount of adverts varied from 3 to 8 but never played. I can't even play the first half of the episode now.

I can go to a later episode but again after watching the first half it stops working...

I notice that the 4oD player says it was updated on the 10th of feb 2016 to version 2.2.0 which might explain why I was able to watch something last week but not this week.

I have tried resetting the box though not a factory reset. I have tried to remove and re ad the channel 4 channel. It did not help. I have sent a contact form to channel 4 on the off chance.

Does it break for other people or is it just me?

Thanks

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This error is normal for 4OD...

4OD or as they tried to rebrand as "ALL4" to hide from there past issues has had this issue accross every HDTV app...

They spread there content across so many server locations, devices can time out and fail...

The Adverts are not the same quality or on the same server as the primary content...

Unlike NowTV that encode Channel product placement adverts in to the same stream as the Primary episode you want to watch..

Channel 4 have to load the advert of another server system... then reconnect back to the primary show content...

This does mean that you can lose connection when it rebuffers the primary content as it fails to load the next chunk...

Even the channel Ident sponsors are Different per channel they run so need to load in...

Theres nothing you can do about it... but wait for the servers to work correctly... This is not a new issue and they have had it for years on and off.... As they increase the adverts it just gets worse and happens even more offen... 

If you have a freeview service. you should watch live or PVR... for a few weeks...   

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

If you have a freeview service. you should watch live or PVR... for a few weeks...   

Kabul Kitchen which zxcvbnm114 is trying to watch is only available via All4

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thankyou. I guess you are right some nights the adverts are just broken. I just had to be patient till it was working better.  Its a shame as its hard to get everyone sitting down to watch something if you don't know if it will work...

A day later I was able to play it, though I had to leave it playing seven commercials which with stuttering took about 15 minutes. Then the tv show played just fine.

The next night there was only one advert in the middle of the show? 

Channel four did reply to my query but only to suggest I reset my box which I had already done repeatedly along with renewing my ip address in the hope of jolting the adverts into working...

Artesea is sadly right. I think 4OD is the only place you can see Kabul Kitchen with english subtitles. I suspect the long term solution will be to buy a smarter tv that has hdmi to plug a laptop in and use its more robust streaming.

One tip seems to be to fast forward to the commercial break and get them over with first and then you can watch the show without them. Though how well this works on longer things I don't know.

Still thanks for the advice.