cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Will "Comedy Central" Leave Now TV ?

Hello Bob

It's certainly been a while. Thanks for asking after me. I've had a couple of health issues recently which are thankfully getting sorted, slow progress but progress all the same 😀

I'm not quite sure what to make of Britbox at the moment. Having had to spend more time indoors than I normally would has given me a bit more spare time to catch up tv wise. I've taken up the Britbox trial, but unless the catalogue grows rather quickly I'll not be going beyond the first month.

I've used it to watch a few shows I hadn't first time around, Maigret being the most recent I've finished. I should say my wife and I have finished as it's more her scene than mine. If nothing new and appealing gets added anytime soon I'll have exhausted that list.

ukbobboy
Champion

@robert1997 

Hi Rob

Glad to hear you're on the mend, I am also having my share of health problems, it's the price we pay for getting older.

Anyway, I too feel that Britbox is narrowing its' field of program offerings, for example I don't like soaps and costume dramas and I can't remember a comedy that has made me laugh recently.  However, I do like some action dramas but we don't make many of those in the UK.  So, apart from the 30 day free trial, I don't really see what Britbox has to to offer.

Nevertheless, let the music play on (listening to some Barry White) and the drink flow (drinking to some Barry White).

Music.jpgBeer Drinking 2.jpg

Music System.jpg

UK Bob

PS. I'm kinda liking "House" at the moment, on the Paramount  channel,  twice a day, 7 and 8pm, Mon to Fri. 

caseyb1993 Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy @robert1997 

Am I the only one that thinks britbox is pointless? The BBC try to bully you into paying £150+ a year anyway to watch rubbish basically, and now they have have dropped a subscription service to squeeze more money out of you? Even the name is really bland. 😂

Surely this should be included with that license fee. 

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂

You'll get no argument from me @caseyb1993  😀

I'm not convinced there's enough on there to keep me beyond the trial period.

ukbobboy
Champion

@caseyb1993  @robert1997  @RoyB 

You know guys

I can't really see what kind of audience Britbox is aimed at, and for it to be specifically geo-locked to the UK only seems to me like a built in (very) short shelf life.

For me, as with Robert, I will not have any interest in this service beyond the 30 day free trial. 

UK Bob

RoyB Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy 

NowTV operate exactly the same EU rules; if you log in from the EU, it starts a thirty-day timer during which you can watch it from there, and geo-blocks you if you go over those 30 days. But if you watch it from the UK again, the timer is cancelled.

Or something like that.

@robert1997 

Sorry to hear you've been ill; hope you are making a good recovery now.

If my posting answered your question, please click ‘Accept Answer’
If you liked my posting, please click ‘Thanks’.
If you disagree with my posting, say so below, and I will see if I need to mend my ways 🙂
RoyB Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy 

Britbox has been very successful in the States, but whether selling back to us what we rather thought we had already paid for will play well here, we will have to see.

The BBC dipped their toe in the water with UKTVPlay, and proved there was quite an appetite for past programming; though I don’t know if that will translate into a market for that programming.

And the BBC had to close an earlier attempt at this, the BBC Store, in 2017 after two years of operation, and give everyone who had bought something from it their money back.

Clearly, the mistake here was to offer ownership of the programmes, which Britbox avoids, but its hard to see why it won’t have the same low takeup.

I’ll start a free trial if and when they offer ‘Cariani and the Courtesans’, the great ‘lost’ programme from the BBC’s past that I haven’t been able to track down anywhere.

If you disagree with my posting, say so below, and I will see if I need to mend my ways 🙂
0 Thanks
ukbobboy
Champion

@RoyB 

Hey Roy

I think you've missed my point, which was not solely based on Britbox's geo-locking of their content but the fact that their content is so limited as well, i.e. limited content over limited area = extremely limited shelf life.

Maths Moji.jpg

Never thought I'd do any maths again (giddit).

Laters

UK Bob

0 Thanks
RoyB Legend 5
Legend 5

(Misfire)

0 Thanks
RoyB Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ukbobboy 

Im not sure if you saw my 8:58 submission before your 9:00 reply above?

I’d guess probably not, as I think you will find it shows we are singing off the same hymn sheet 😛

My earlier reply confined itself just to the mechanics of UK users watching in the EU, and how that is metered.

But as for your maths, something wrong there, as halving the area would double the shelf life. Can’t be right surely? 📱

0 Thanks