cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Will "Comedy Central" Leave Now TV ?

Ok , I'm a pessimist and I heard that "Comedy Central" is going to join the new BBC/ITV subscription platform.

Assuming this to be true does anyone know if they will leave Now tv as an incentive for people to subscribe to the new BBC/ITV service ? If this were true its goodbye "Comedy Central" for me !

28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous User
Not applicable

You'll get no argument from me @caseyb1993  😀

I'm not convinced there's enough on there to keep me beyond the trial period.

ukbobboy
Legend

@caseyb1993  @Anonymous User  @RoyB 

You know guys

I can't really see what kind of audience Britbox is aimed at, and for it to be specifically geo-locked to the UK only seems to me like a built in (very) short shelf life.

For me, as with Robert, I will not have any interest in this service beyond the 30 day free trial. 

UK Bob

RoyB
Legend

@ukbobboy 

Britbox has been very successful in the States, but whether selling back to us what we rather thought we had already paid for will play well here, we will have to see.

The BBC dipped their toe in the water with UKTVPlay, and proved there was quite an appetite for past programming; though I don’t know if that will translate into a market for that programming.

And the BBC had to close an earlier attempt at this, the BBC Store, in 2017 after two years of operation, and give everyone who had bought something from it their money back.

Clearly, the mistake here was to offer ownership of the programmes, which Britbox avoids, but its hard to see why it won’t have the same low takeup.

I’ll start a free trial if and when they offer ‘Cariani and the Courtesans’, the great ‘lost’ programme from the BBC’s past that I haven’t been able to track down anywhere.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
RoyB
Legend

@ukbobboy 

NowTV operate exactly the same EU rules; if you log in from the EU, it starts a thirty-day timer during which you can watch it from there, and geo-blocks you if you go over those 30 days. But if you watch it from the UK again, the timer is cancelled.

Or something like that.

@Anonymous User 

Sorry to hear you've been ill; hope you are making a good recovery now.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
ukbobboy
Legend

@RoyB 

Hey Roy

I think you've missed my point, which was not solely based on Britbox's geo-locking of their content but the fact that their content is so limited as well, i.e. limited content over limited area = extremely limited shelf life.

Maths Moji.jpg

Never thought I'd do any maths again (giddit).

Laters

UK Bob

RoyB
Legend

(Misfire)

RoyB
Legend

Hi @ukbobboy 

Im not sure if you saw my 8:58 submission before your 9:00 reply above?

I’d guess probably not, as I think you will find it shows we are singing off the same hymn sheet 😛

My earlier reply confined itself just to the mechanics of UK users watching in the EU, and how that is metered.

But as for your maths, something wrong there, as halving the area would double the shelf life. Can’t be right surely? 📱

ukbobboy
Legend

@RoyB 

Yes Roy

It seems that our discussion is now out of sync and yes, I think we do essentially agree on Britbox's shelf life.

As for my maths, there is an added but invisible musical component, mixed in with a little Rap.

DJ-ing Emoji.png

Yeah

Computer Love

(Webdings Font)

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

On the mend, thanks for asking @RoyB 

I see a few more programmes added today, although nothing to really catch my eye. They have a new 4 part series on there titled "Lambs of God". It got a mixed reception in the States when shown earlier in the year.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Well Rob

I'm looking forward to watching Britania S2 but I'm much more interested in catching up on 9-1-1 season 3 and Ballers S4 & 5.

UK Bob

PS. Can't find "Lambs of God", can you drop a link?