cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Will "Comedy Central" Leave Now TV ?

Ok , I'm a pessimist and I heard that "Comedy Central" is going to join the new BBC/ITV subscription platform.

Assuming this to be true does anyone know if they will leave Now tv as an incentive for people to subscribe to the new BBC/ITV service ? If this were true its goodbye "Comedy Central" for me !

28 REPLIES 28
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Do you happen to have a link to the source where you heard this news?

If you mean join the new subscription do you mean BritBox?

BritBox will not show Live channels (unless I am mistaken) it literally will be the UK version of Netflix. 

As Comedy Central is a Live channel as well as on catch up, I doubt it will be leaving anytime soon. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
ukbobboy
Legend

@gavs82008 

Hi Gavs

Britbox?  What's a Britbox?

Is this suppose to be a new device that rivals the current Now TV, Roku and other devices already out there?   

If so, it seems like a pre-built recipe for disaster.

UK Bob

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy 

It is most certainly not a new device in any way. 

https://www.britbox.co.uk/

BritBox is a new subscription service for all things British. There is a similar service in the US and now launched here in the UK.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
ukbobboy
Legend

@gavs82008 

Hi again Gavs

Cheers for that link, it seems to me that this Britbox streaming service is starting off with a somewhat restricted user base, i.e. Apple TV, Samsung TV, iOS and Android devices.

You know, I would've thought they've had a Roku app/channel, which is the biggest supplier of Internet streaming devices throughout the EU. 

Still, they must know what they're doing, e.g. possibly see what the market take up is before investing more in a bigger roll out and subsequent support facilities.

UK Bob

RoyB
Legend

@ukbobboy 

I don’t think they intend it to be generally available in the EU:

8. Geoblocking

8.1. The BritBox Service uses “geo-blocking” measures to prevent you from accessing the services from outside the Territory. This is necessary for us to comply with the terms of our content licences. You agree not to attempt to access, and not to attempt to circumvent the geo-blocking measures to access, the BritBox Service from outside the Territory.

Though:-

Where can I stream BritBox?

BritBox is only available to UK residents. You can also watch BritBox if you are temporarily outside the UK but within the EU.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
ukbobboy
Legend

@RoyB @Anonymous User 

Hi Roy

Yeah, you get my point.  In order to be temporarily available in the EU it has to be available in the EU. So I'm guessing that Britbox will be running some sort of time delay Geo-Blocking, not the full-fat variety.

Hey Robert

How are you?

You've not been around for a bit, hope you're OK.

So Britbox is going to do a full launch in late November or early December, I'd be very interested to see what devices they roll out their apps on and probably try out their 30 day free trial as well.

Later guys.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello Bob

It's certainly been a while. Thanks for asking after me. I've had a couple of health issues recently which are thankfully getting sorted, slow progress but progress all the same 😀

I'm not quite sure what to make of Britbox at the moment. Having had to spend more time indoors than I normally would has given me a bit more spare time to catch up tv wise. I've taken up the Britbox trial, but unless the catalogue grows rather quickly I'll not be going beyond the first month.

I've used it to watch a few shows I hadn't first time around, Maigret being the most recent I've finished. I should say my wife and I have finished as it's more her scene than mine. If nothing new and appealing gets added anytime soon I'll have exhausted that list.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Hi Rob

Glad to hear you're on the mend, I am also having my share of health problems, it's the price we pay for getting older.

Anyway, I too feel that Britbox is narrowing its' field of program offerings, for example I don't like soaps and costume dramas and I can't remember a comedy that has made me laugh recently.  However, I do like some action dramas but we don't make many of those in the UK.  So, apart from the 30 day free trial, I don't really see what Britbox has to to offer.

Nevertheless, let the music play on (listening to some Barry White) and the drink flow (drinking to some Barry White).

Music.jpgBeer Drinking 2.jpg

Music System.jpg

UK Bob

PS. I'm kinda liking "House" at the moment, on the Paramount  channel,  twice a day, 7 and 8pm, Mon to Fri. 

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy @Anonymous User 

Am I the only one that thinks britbox is pointless? The BBC try to bully you into paying £150+ a year anyway to watch rubbish basically, and now they have have dropped a subscription service to squeeze more money out of you? Even the name is really bland. 😂

Surely this should be included with that license fee. 

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂