cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Why are there no subtitles?

My mother just bought a Now TV thing for her TV. I set it all up for her, even the subtitles in the settings, everything seemed fine. Then she sits down to watch The Walking Dead, and there are no subtitles. It is bang out of order for a there to be no subtitles for the hearing impaired in 2019. Can someone please explain why it is like this?

16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am a TALKTALKTV user and following their price increase for SKY entertainment boost I bought a NOWTV entertainment pass.  TALKTALK recommend buying NOWTV passes as a cheaper alternative, and charged £4 a month. However as I am am finding far to often with TALKTALK this is an "improved"  service that loses functionality. 

The loss of functionality I am most affected by is the lack of subtitles on NOWTV. Series I watched using my previous SKY boost had subtitles, but now when I watch them on NOWTV non are available.  Therefore subtitles exist but NOWTV won't buy them. This is disability discrimination. Shame on you NOWTV. If I could find a way to leek this blatant discrimination to the media I would.

I have also discovered that the TV box I have on contract with TALKTALK is not supported by NOWTV, so even on the rare occasion, there are subtitles I cant see them.  Shame on TALKTALK.

As a previous post said this is 2020.

I am posting a similar rant on TALKTALK. 

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

YouView boxes do not currently support subtitles on NowTV.

So we won’t be able to watch NowTV on our YouView boxes until they do; and I have ensured that YouView are aware of this.

Accordingly, we watch NowTV on the app on our Samsung smart TV, or on a Roku Stick. (I decline to watch it on a NowTV stick any more; that’s like trying to put your underpants on over your head).

Though even on those, whether or not there are subtitles, and whether they last the whole programme through even if there are some, is a crapshoot.....

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yep I said my current TALKTALK box, which is YouView as you said, does not support  NOWTV. Basically the £4 a month TALKTALK are charging me so that I can access NOWTV through my YOUVIEW box tantamounts to fraud.

After waiting to be connected to someone at TALKTALK today for 50 minutes,  the person on the other end could not understand what I was saying about not having access to subtitles. I can only surmise that the help desk has not been given a script to follow about this?!?

Tomorrow I am going to try and find, on the respective websites, how to send official complaints.  I say try because so far I can only find complaint links for specific issues.

I am also going to look at possible alternatives for TALKTALK and NOWTV.  I struggle with my hearing and have come to rely on subtitles.  A function I can NOT do without.  Although I love NOTV having no adverts.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

If your TalkTalk box doesn’t support NowTV, what are you watching it on?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Craig_82
Scholar 2

I too need subtitles and I have noticed all shows on Fox TV (The walking dead and NCIS) do not have any.  The same  goes for sci-fi.

However sky witness does, and Blue Bloods Season 11 episode 5 did not have it last night and still again now (previous seasons and episodes do), I wouldn't watch it other wise. 

Anyway, sick of spending 40 mins on chatz when the issue is their end and not mine to get subtitles added in/work.

So email complaint sent instead, this is the reply: 

Thanks for getting back to us and letting us know that you are not able to get subtitles for Blue Bloods Season 11 Episode :5 (Spilling Secrets). 

I would like to inform you that we know subtitles are an important part of the TV experience for many of our members, and we’ve worked hard to increase the amount of subtitles across the NOW membership and devices.

NOW Entertainment Membership – 100s of on demand shows have subtitles available, and all new shows added will come with subtitles, where available. We’ll be adding subtitles to more shows on the NOW Entertainment Memberships back catalogue soon too.

For now only selected on demand shows have subtitles available – but we're adding more every day. If you see an S symbol in the show information, then subtitles are available.

I would like to inform you that at the moment there are no subtitles available for Blue Bloods Season 11 Episode :3 & 5. For remaining Episode (1,2 &4) subtitles are available with us. 

I would also like to inform you that the shows or movie which are available on our website has rights(License) which we get directly from the original broadcasters. and subtitles are provided from the original broadcasters and we can't add subtitles for any content from our end. 

As informed before we are working to get subtitles for major content available with us at the moment.  

Here is the link of our website for more information on subtitles : https://help.nowtv.com/article/can-i-watch-now-tv-with-subtitles

Here is the link to check for the on demand shows available with us and which also haves subtitles : https://www.nowtv.com/gb/watch/entertainment/highlights/asset/blue-bloods/iYEQYZDoViN8NdM2KjCpko/iYs...

You can use this link to access content for the NOW Entertainment Membership: https://www.nowtv.com/gb/watch/entertainment/highlights

Hope this information helps you well. If you’d like to talk about it with us again, you can respond to this email keeping the subject line the same.

Bye for now,

The NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

I just purchased a Now TV stick (£25) and was disappointed that there was no subtitles in the settings menu.

However, after a lot of perseverance I found that if you start watching one of your favourite programs, say Chicago PD ( impossible to follow without subtitles), you then press play on the Now TV controller that comes with the stick. an information panel then comes up on the screen and the subtitles icon is on the far righthand side. Once selected it then works on all the programmes that have subtitles.  To switch it off again, reverse the process.

It is important to wait until the show actually starts, it does not work when they show a trailer for another program.

I hope this helps Patrick

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Why are there no subtitles for sport programmes?