cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Why are there no subtitles?

My mother just bought a Now TV thing for her TV. I set it all up for her, even the subtitles in the settings, everything seemed fine. Then she sits down to watch The Walking Dead, and there are no subtitles. It is bang out of order for a there to be no subtitles for the hearing impaired in 2019. Can someone please explain why it is like this?

16 REPLIES 16
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User wrote:

My mother just bought a Now TV thing for her TV. I set it all up for her, even the subtitles in the settings, everything seemed fine. Then she sits down to watch The Walking Dead, and there are no subtitles. It is bang out of order for a there to be no subtitles for the hearing impaired in 2019. Can someone please explain why it is like this?

There’s a bug at the moment whereby the Settings Subtitles setting doesn’t hold. NowTV are aware of the issue, so we hope to see it addressed presently.

So to get subtitles, it is necessary to press the ‘*’ button on the remote, arrow right to the Subtitles option (furthest right) and select English there (if subtitles are available for the programme, which is not always the case Smiley Sad).

If you then do follow-on watching of further episodes, the subtitles will continue to show; but once you leave the programme for another, or exit, you will have to repeat the subtitle setting on the next thing you want to watch.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Your shows advertised with “S” symbol for subtitles but no subtitles are showing for shows such as, special victims unit, Criminal minds. Your show The Twilight zone has no Subtitles to name a few! I have Hearing loss and rely on subtitles. I cant enjoy and benefit my services. I am very dissatisfied. Also I have to wait up to 4 weeks for some of your newer episodes for subtitles to show.

I have tried holding down English subtitles button as suggested, and gone back to repeat, no such luck! 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

NowTV are well known for lacking subtitles, especially on the "Entertainment" package. Hopefully in the next decade or two they'll step up and improve. I doubt it though, their lack of compassion for the deaf and hard of hearing community is shameful, to say the least.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

no subtitles on main menu . subtitles on movies of shows are-OFF

Anonymous User
Not applicable

My partner requires subtitles. We have just sat down to watch Bohemian Rhapsody and after several attempts still no subtitles? It's 2020, recently released film and we are over 70 and self isolating! Please can anybody help before we go completely round the bend?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Have read the previous 5 answers and have determined that there is no solution. I’m no technophobe but it’s impossible to get subtitles on an LG TV even though the subtitle logo is displayed. Once you turn subtitles to “ON” it reverts to off! 
Extremely frustrating, especially when we’re paying for this service! Come on NOW TV get a grip, SOON. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

We had now tv about two years ago and could not get subtitles, so we gave up and cancelled our subscription telling now tv why, it seems they do not listen to their feedback as, we thought we would try again and so we subscribed again a couple of weeks ago and lo and behold STILL NO SUBTITLES!!!  needless to say we are cancelling again, I will not tell them why as they do not want to know all they want is our money

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Lots of programmes, though not all, and some that get them only eventually, but they are there.

What device are you using?

There is still a bug, 15 months and counting, to my knowledge, where the setting on the Stick for subtitles wherever possible won’t stay On. And so for each programme, you need to Pause it, move to the little speech bubble icon if it is there, and turn the subtitles On.

And keep doing that for each programme, which is annoying. But we cope with it.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Watching Brotherhood, Jason Isaccs.

First 2 episodes of S1 had subtitles. Episobe 3 doesnt?

What happened? Why is there no subtitles?