cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

Recommend a TV show on Now TV

If there is a TV show on Now TV which you feel is worth recommending to other users, please post a reply in this thread.  Or subscribe if you would like to see what users are recommending.

If this has solved your issue please mark this as an accepted solution.

Those little green stars by my name mean that I'm a Community Contributor - not Now TV staff. I just try to help out if I can.

289 REPLIES 289
DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

I recommend The Leftovers -a new HBO drama series from Damon Lindelof (writer of Lost).  It's set in a small American town 3 years after an unexplained "Rapture"-like event.  It's a slow-burn tale full of intrigue and is sure to divide opinion.

Best of all, each episode is being made available on Now TV a week before the next episode airs on Sky Atlantic.

Those little green stars by my name mean that I'm a Community Contributor - not Now TV staff. I just try to help out if I can.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

What did you think of The Leftovers @DarylM? I watched the first episode last night and am thinking it might take a few weeks to get into.

As for shows to recommend - I really enjoyed the first season of Boardwalk Empire, but not so much seasons two and three. As the fifth and final season is coming up soon, I watched through the fourth this week, and thought it was absolutely fantastic. Probably my favourite yet.

Tom

DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User  I have been looking forward to The Leftovers for a long time because not many books really blow me away, but Tom Perrotta's novel impressed me very much.

I have heard reports that it's a 'grower' and starts to kick into gear at around episode 3 (focusing on our very own Christopher Ecclston, I think).

I enjoyed the first episode because I like slow-burn stuff if it's handled right.  But I can see that some might find it frustrating with (after Lost) lots of questions being raised but little in the way of answers.  I hope that people will stick arond for a few episodes.

I will be intrigued to see how it develops, and how far it deviates from the novel.  I get the feeling that the main thrust of the novel (about the Sheriff's family) would make a good first season.  I also notice that they've already added several new storylines.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@DarylM wrote:

I have heard reports that it's a 'grower' and starts to kick into gear at around episode 3 (focusing on our very own Christopher Ecclston, I think).

Yea he lives near me, used to be on the pubs darts team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just thought of another great show but I don't think it's ever been shown on British TV. Every episode had a $1 million budget and you can tell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFY6t2KRtq0

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Just thought of another great show but I don't think it's ever been shown on British TV. Every episode had a $1 million budget and you can tell.

the transporter series was garbage and cancelled why it never made it to the uk nobody wanted it it was that bad
DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

I'm going to recommend some 'hidden gems'.

If you like drama and comedy, you might overlook Sky Arts.  But Playhouse Presents has some excellent one-offs and potential pilots.

If you like dystopian visions of a future Britain (such as Children of Men , V For Vendetta and, especially, 1984) I think you will enjoy The Snipist .  It stars Douglas Henshall as a sniper guarding a lone woman in a rabies-infested Britain.  It is chilling, bleak and features the voice of John Hurt.

For comedy, I recommend Damned starring Jo Brand and Alan Davis as stressed social workers.  This is very much for people who liked The Thick of It and Getting On (which also featured Jo Brand as a nurse).  It plays like a pilot and I hope that it gets a full series (if Sky have the guts to make a comedy set in Children's Services after Rotherham, that is).

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

Thanks @DarylM The Snipist sounds right up my street! 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@geordielee wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

the transporter series was garbage and cancelled why it never made it to the uk nobody wanted it it was that bad

I liked it, not everyone has the same taste