cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

No HD on Android with Boost

I have signed up for a Boost trial and when I view on my Roku, all channels show as HD (i.e. Sky One HD) yet when I view on another device, specifically my android, they do not show, and the quality does not look like HD

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

When you say Android, do you mean phone?

If so then 720p is the maximum regardless of Boost.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-highest-streaming-quality-for-my-device

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

When you say Android, do you mean phone?

If so then 720p is the maximum regardless of Boost.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-highest-streaming-quality-for-my-device

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you, yes I did mean on a tablet or phone this would explain things.

I was just about to message and say that it seems to have sorted itself out, now that I have left it running for a while, the quality has improved massively.

This is now making me wonder what the quality was when I first raised the question, the quality was not very good at all compared to now. so either this has changed and HD is available on android, or the original quality I had, was an error.

Can not be an internet issue as I checked at the time and was pulling over 300Mbps

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am surprised years after boost launched that Boost still isn’t on PC and Phones/Tablets. 

You probably wouldn’t notice difference on phones too much but you certainly would on a computer or a tablet 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm also surprised that HD isn't the default, and Boost should bump you up to UHD.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

At least us UK NOW customers have an option for Boost on the majority of NOW supported devices, where last time i checked NOW Republic of Ireland customers haven't got the Boost option, but still have 2 simultaneous streams on a single account.

Would a NOW Republic of Ireland customer confirm if this is the case or not ?

i asked a NOW Staff Member and didn't receive a reply to my question 😡.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Thank you, yes I did mean on a tablet or phone this would explain things.

I was just about to message and say that it seems to have sorted itself out, now that I have left it running for a while, the quality has improved massively.

This is now making me wonder what the quality was when I first raised the question, the quality was not very good at all compared to now. so either this has changed and HD is available on android, or the original quality I had, was an error.

Can not be an internet issue as I checked at the time and was pulling over 300Mbps

Hi @Anonymous User 

I think the reason why they limit quality to 720p on phones and tablets has more to do with the mobile networks than anything else, because even when pulling/streaming a mobile optimised content from Nows servers the data usage is still going to be quite high if the quality is 1080p. They are trying to make sure that people don't use too much mobile data and end up with massive bills from their provider. Because of using Now when they are out and about While people getting high mobile bills would not be directly Nows problem , they may well get quite a few complaints to Now support

However, other devices being limited to 720p such as the now player PC don't make much sense😑then again, the fact that some older hardware has a bit of trouble with the now player could be the reason for the 720p quality limit 

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.