cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have never authorised any passes on my account why have I been charged?

I have never asked for any passes in my account! I have never authorised anything in my account for payment to be taken? Why has this happened 3 times when I have looked back in bank statement weirdly March, May and July? Nothing consistent ? It looks like it’s just decides to add you to things with out your authorisation!
I need to request a refund ASAP?
Thank you for your help
5 REPLIES 5
RoyB
Legend

Hi @Anonymous User 

I think you will find that you probably did; most likely you took advantage of a NowTV free trial, didn’t read the description of what happens at the end of the trial unless you cancel, gave them details of your credit card/debit card/bank account without wondering too deeply why this was needed for a free trial, and agreed to NowTV’s T&Cs, by which those Passes were authorised.

See here for someone else with much the same experience.

But as per that thread, NowTV do not wish to profit from such misadventures, so follow the links in it to Live Chat, and hope for a sympathetic hearing, and a refund for what you have paid for, but never used.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
I placed my bank details in when set up the stick in January of this year , I dont go on to NOW TV links at all straight to Netflix? Curious how the payments and consistent? Surely even if this was done in error you would receive an email to confirm that you had done this prompting you to cancel immediately if had been done in error ? Which I had not . Only realised when a payment was taken out of my bank .
Thanks Rachel
RoyB
Legend

Hi again @Anonymous User 

It’s a while since I set up an account, so I looked up the procedure at

https://help.nowtv.com/article/set-up-your-now-tv-smart-stick

and you can see that it involves you reading (or at least accepting) the T&Cs.

Which gives NowTV the basis on which to charge you if you use any of the NowTV streams.

But you say you haven’t; you’ve only used the Stick for Netflix.

Could anybody else have used the streaming service(s) on your account though - a family member, even a small child, or a flatmate, or a friend?

There’s a Payment PIN you can set under Settings & PINs to prevent this, but this isn’t on by default; and as NowTV expect you to start using their streaming services - and indeed as they don’t even check the email address you sign up with - they won’t email you when you start a service.

What’s the timing of all this exactly though? You signed up in January with your Stick, either one with no Passes, or one with a Pass or Passes you didn’t use - so you could have incurred six or seven sets of monthly charges by now. How many have you in fact incurred, and on what Pass or Passes?

And take the date of the first charge - or the date seven days earlier, if the free trial period was involved - and try to recall what, or who, might have happened that day to trigger the charge.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thanks Roy

I understand completely if I had signed up to anything or watched anything but I haven’t,, I have paid a payment March . May . July , so again can’t understand why not every month!

No we have a 5 year old who can’t use the remote , we set it up on Netflix for her! We never go on anything on the now stick just straight to Netflix

Thank you for your help

Regards Rachel
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

That is indeed a very odd payment pattern then - I’d expect monthly charges, but it didn’t start until three months after you joined, and you have April and June missing.

I could explain some of it if you had had a two-month Movies Pass with the Stick, and activated it because you thought you had to, even though you didn’t watch any Movies; that would put you in the path of monthly charging from March onwards, even if you still hadn’t watched any Movies, but it wouldn’t miss months.

How much are these charges by the way? That can tell us what sort of Pass you are being charged for.

And you might want to look at the My Account/Passes & Vouchers page, which will also tell you what state NowTV thinks your Account is in re Passes. If you can see a Pass or Passes that are running, Cancel them immediately.

And while you are there, I would also definitely go into My Account/Settings and PINs, and set a Payment PIN; the Community is rife with reports of toddlers starting payment cycles for their parents by wandering into other areas on NowTV and starting to watch something payable, by just pressing OK until it starts, which is all they have to do if there is no Payment PIN set.

Never underestimate what a toddler, left alone with a remote control for just a few moments, can achieve 😞

But you do need to get on to Live Chat as above, and see what they can tell you about these charges. And, as they will be able to see if the Passes have been used or not, quite possibly refund some or all of those charges.

Another thing you might want to consider is if there is a safer (for you) route to Netflix for your 5-year-old; perhaps in the apps on a smart TV, and so on. You can practically get Netflix on a Speak’n’Spell these days, so it is something to consider. Though the Payment Pin should prevent inadvertent NowTV charging from happening again, if this is indeed a likely cause.

Good luck!