cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

Game of Thrones S8 fan chat *WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS*

PLEASE NOTE ... This is a thread for discussion about the plot and characters in Game of Thrones S8 - this thread will contain SPOILERS for upcoming or recently aired episodes of S8 - don't read any further if you want to avoid! 

If you have any problems or issues with watching GoT on NOW TV please start a new topic to make sure it gets the right attention.

All welcome! Dracarys!

got.jpg

389 REPLIES 389
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User  I enjoyed the first three books, and it’s interesting to see the parallels between the books and the TV show, and where they diverge. Unfortunately I ground to a halt whilst reading A Feast for Crows and found that quite a slog, as have quite a few fans apparently. I keep picking it up and reading another chapter but I really need to sit down and give it a proper push to get back into it again, which I intend to do. 

If you do find yourself getting into the books and you’re a smartphone/tablet user, then I’d highly recommend the World of Ice and Fire official companion app to the book, it’s a great reference to all the characters and events in the books and I found it really useful for keeping track of who is who and where everyone is in relation to each other - not easy as the books hop from one character to another all the time. You do need to pay for the guides to each book, but it’s only a fiver for the whole set I think, and you can try the app out for free first to see what you think. Worth a look!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/a-world-of-ice-and-fire/id570015223

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.randomhouse.woiaf&hl=en_US

Enjoy!! Valar Morghulis! 😝👑

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Andy,

Many thanks for your insights about the books, and for the links to the "World of Ice and Fire" app. I'll definitely give it a try. I've had a look at the first book in the series (A Game of Thrones) and spotted that every chapter is the name of a particular character. I can see that it probably would be easy to lose track of them all and their various story lines. It's one of the reasons I could never get my three sisters interested in watching the GoT TV shows. They all felt there were just too many characters with strange names for them to try and keep tabs on!

I'll certainly give the books a good go and hopefully I'll enjoy them? Sorry to bring up LotR again, but to be honest compared to the LotR movies, the actual books ( ... or book if you read them as one volume.) are really dense with characters/information, plus all the various appendices, and they can be tough going in places too. ( ... probably the reason why Peter Jackson decided to miss some bits out in his film versions.) I used to read a a lot of fantasy type stuff in my youth. I first read LotR when I was nineteen, ( ... read it again when the movies came out!) then I read Mervyn Peake's Gormanghast books. I also remember being glued to the pages of many Michael Moorcock books in my late teens and early twenties, but I eventually moved on to other types of fiction as I got older. Sadly that was all nearly forty years ago, so it'll be interesting to see if I can get back into that type of book now that I'm an old git! Thanks again Andy for all the info and for your own experiences with reading the GoT books.

Lindzi
Elite 2

@Andy   @Anonymous User 

Oh and can I get your thoughts on the theory that Cersei hasn't asked bron to kill Tyrion and Jamie but that it's Qyburn (spelling?) asking him to do it? 

There are pictures of the starks helping him when he was down and out and he was horrified when Cersei was pleased that the white walkers had made it through the wall. 

All will be revealed I suppose!! 

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Lindzi wrote:

Oh and can I get your thoughts on the theory that Cersei hasn't asked bron to kill Tyrion and Jamie but that it's Qyburn (spelling?) asking him to do it? 

I haven’t got a clue!!!! 😄 Tbh I’d forgotten about Bronn for the moment! I can’t believe he’d kill either Tyrion or Jaime but I do believe he’d happily turncoat at the drop of a hat if Dany offers him an even bigger castle than the one he’s already got in return for insider info on Cersei ... he’s a little tinker that one!

... and when you say there’s pictures ... do you mean like you’ve employed a Private Investigator to follow them or something? I mean, there’s fans and then there’s fans, Lindz!! 😄

Lindzi
Elite 2

... and when you say there’s pictures ... do you mean like you’ve employed a Private Investigator to follow them or something? I mean, there’s fans and then there’s fans, Lindz!! 😄

@Andy  

Ha ha unfortunately no, just stills of rob stark helping him whilst he was in the gutter. Although the bald man with no 'bits' is like a private investigator...:)

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Lindzi wrote:

@Andy   @Anonymous User 

I've been watching some of the GoT channel on you tube where the writers and set folk discuss the latest episode. Quite interesting if you can be bothered. 

@Lindzi @Anonymous User Oooo send us a couple of links make sure I’m looking at the right thing, might check it out after watching Thronecast (which was a bit rubbish last week I thought)

@Lindzi wrote:

Loads of nods back to season 1 as well.

Ooooh what did you notice? I know Tyrion and Jaime were talking about their first visit quite a bit, but I’m not sure what else there was?

@Lindzi wrote:

That night king is going to rock up on that ice dragon isn't he? 

Yeeee-haaaahhhH!!!!!

11C4DBE7-84B9-4C62-AF79-62238C44752B.jpeg

Lindzi
Elite 2

@Andy   @Anonymous User 

https://youtu.be/dcqrNXKv628

Just noticed repeat conversations such as Tyrion telling Jamie how he would like to die in his bed at 80 yrs old, belly full of wine and a womans mouth around his **** he said this S1 after getting away from moon door lady. 

Obviously 'bran' quoting jamie to Jamie "the things we do for love" from when he pushed him out of the window. 

Oh Tormund "is the big woman still here" I love him (just watching it again waiting for thronecast)

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Lindzi wrote:

@Anonymous User 

Ah thank you. The help article mentioned live movies and entertainment channels I thought? Surely if something is on after watershed a pin isn't needed? 

Oh and the whole thing is utterly ridiculous as you don't need a pin for catch up/box sets etc....pointless. 

@Lindzi 

I thought the Help thing I saw only mentioned about live Movies???  Maybe I'm wrong...... we'll soon find out.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Lindzi @Andy 

Yes, loved that episode and the little nods to S1E1....... glad I only watched that one episode from season 1!!!!

The boy stuck to the wall..... was he called Lord Umber or something like that?????  Great scene with the eyes and all that and that scream was the stuff of nightmares!!!

Yes, poor Sam, going from loving his new Queen to hating her in an instant.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User @Lindzi Yes that’s it! Lord Umber! I was trying to remember it by thinking of Humber Bridge! 😄 And speaking of kids you’ve got to love Lady Mormont, she’s the GoT equivalent of TWD’s Judith! Cuts right through the crap and says it like everyone else is thinking it! 😄