cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Fox UK Channel to close

Looks like Fox UK channel won't be part of our Now TV Entertainment Membership for much longer.

https://www.geektown.co.uk/2021/05/17/disney-to-close-the-fox-uk-channel-with-content-moving-to-disn...

35 REPLIES 35
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@gavs82008 

Agreed but i do think the entertainment pass is now less value for money with them losing both Discovery and Fox not Now fault I know but adding just the Kids channels in there is not a good addition unless you have Kids at all. Plus increasing the price of Boost it's not a good move to make when they are not giving anything extra. It's obvious they have had to decrease price of the cinema pass with them losing the rights to Disney and Fox films. 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Agreed, it is dropping in value to justify the full price £9.99. If it were up to me both cinema and entertainment memberships were combined at a price of £9.99.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
starman73
Elite

both cinema and entertainment memberships were combined at a price of £9.99.

pre-covid, the pricing was more justified as Sky Cinema had more of the top 100 box office movies, but nowadays Prime, Netflix and Disney + are not only on a par, but arguably superior.  Prime for £79/annum not only has movie & entertainment, it has sport, a music service with 2 million tracks (plus free auto rip) and free delivery.   Now just for movies & entertainment is just under £240/annum.   Now and Sky have to accept movies are not worth what they used to be.  Virgin charge £21/month to add movies.  Hard to believe anyone is mad enough to pay that.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I really do think that NowTv should have e-mailed people like myself to let them know about the closing of Fox UK.

The reason being is that when I brought the Entertainment package a few years ago, it was on the basis that I could watch shows on the Fox channel.   

I found out that the Fox channel is not available last night when going to watch a NCIS show and then google searched on the fact of the Fox UK TV channel closing and that any of the shows from the channel are now viewable through the Disney + channel.  

I suspect that we will also see the same happen with the National Geographic UK channels in the near future as I believe they are also owned by Disney.   

If it was not for the fact that you cannot get a Skystore app on Amazon Firestick, I would do away with my NowTV boxes and rather than be paying the £9.99 a month for the Entertainment package, be paying the £7.99 a month with Disney + for better entertainment.    

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

NCIS is NOT owned by Disney, it’s owned and distributed by CBS. 

Unless Disney do a deal it won’t be on Disney+.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

There is other shows which I believe are owned by CBS, that are to be shown on teh Star channel which is viewable via the Disney+ app.   

You have shows such as Bones, which is made I believe by 20th Century Fox.  But is only viewable on the Disney+ Star channel.   

You also have show like 'The Walking Dead' that where shown on the Fox UK channel, but again that is not to be shown on the Disney+ Star channel.  

You may find that CBS makes the likes of the NCIS shows, but it might be that Disney acts as distributor for the shows.  If that is the case, then they are likely to end up on the Star channel as well.   

It will be interesting to see what happens with any future NCIS: Los Angeles season, Magnum Pi seasons as to whether it will be shown on Sky one as it is now or will be shown on the Star channel?   

You have to remember that Disney owns 21st Century Fox.   As per the page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/21st_Century_Fox:

21st Century Fox's assets included the Fox Entertainment Group—owners of the 20th Century Fox film studio (the company's partial namesake), the Fox television network, and a majority stake in National Geographic Partners—the commercial media arm of the National Geographic Society, among other assets. It also had significant foreign operations, including the prominent Indian television channel operator Star India. The company ranked No. 109 in the 2018 Fortune 500 list of the largest United States corporations by total revenue.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Walking Dead is distributed internationally by FOX networks group which is owned by Disney.

Its also been confirmed that the latest season is going to be on Disney+ each Monday.

https://whatsondisneyplus.com/whats-new-on-disney-the-walking-dead-the-golden-girls-uk-ireland/

Also seasons 1-10 were added on Friday, see below picture.

944DF668-1B16-46C4-A2AE-DA921D006EEC.png

Personally I would rather all CBS content be left for the potential launch of Paramount+ which is most likely early 2022.

SweetBlitz
Expert 3

…would do away with my NowTV boxes and rather than be paying the £9.99 a month for the Entertainment package, be paying the £7.99 a month with Disney + for better entertainment.    

You can get Disney + on Now TV box without getting Now Entertainment.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

that makes no sense at all , to pay for two or three packages 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

It makes perfect sense 90% of the content on FOX was owned by Disney. Why would they want you to subscribe to another product if they can have the content on Disney+.

The only real question is what will happen to non Disney owned shows like NCIS and Bull which are owned and distributed by CBS. Will they appear on Sky One or ViacomCBS owned Channel 5 and co?

Normally CBS sells their shows to the highest bidder. However with ViacomCBS launching Paramount+, is also very likely they will launch it here replacing My5.