cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Fox UK Channel to close

Looks like Fox UK channel won't be part of our Now TV Entertainment Membership for much longer.

https://www.geektown.co.uk/2021/05/17/disney-to-close-the-fox-uk-channel-with-content-moving-to-disn...

35 REPLIES 35
Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User heard rumours of this last year when Disney launched.

With the exception of the NCIS franchise everything they're showing are shows that ran for 1 season in 2016/17.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Saint1976 

Yep, looked like this was on the cards for quite a while and they've certainly been doing their best to kill it off slowly with some of its recent offerings!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder what the future has in store for the few shows I do watch on Fox and what links in ownership they may have to Disney?????  Looks like The Walking Dead is off to Star on Disney+, but what about the likes of NCIS, NCIS: New Orleans or Bull (as examples).....not sure how they are or aren't linked to Disney and whether they could end up somewhere else (other than Star).

I can't really see me chasing shows all over the shop on different platforms.....might just need to be waiting for those future DVDs!!!!!!!!

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

All the NCIS shows and Bull are owned by ViacomCBS and on Paramount+ in the US.

Whereas in the UK ViacomCBS owns My5/ Channel 5 and co. My hope is at some point later this year or early next year we will see Paramount+ launching in the UK.

It’s a possibility of the shows mentioned above appearing on My5, but I reckon they’ll move over to Sky One.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@gavs82008 

It's good to know that Disney don't quite yet own everything!!!!!

A few years ago I'd have loved stuff to come to Channel 5, but the way they treat their US shows puts me right off ever bothering with them again for anything new........so I'm fingers crossed the NCIS stuff and Bull might end up on Sky One????

Paramount+  would no doubt be another interesting addition to the streaming World.....and I'm sure I spotted a story Today about AT&T and Discovery coming together in some way with another streaming service????  Plenty of choice for everyones viewing pleasure!!!!

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Couldn't agree more, how they handled shows like Person of Interest, Gotham and Helix to name a few is just outright horrific. 

Really do hope that Paramount+ launches here and replaces My5. Then puts all their shows the day after airing in the US.

Had also noticed that news, can only assume that HBO Max and Discovery+ will merge at some point. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@gavs82008 

Oh, this Channel 5 chat is really bringing back the bad memories.......I'd even managed to forget about the mess that was Gotham season three, the season that seemed to disappear in to the ether never to be seen unless you got the DVD!!!!!

I even remember Channel 5 bringing the first two seasons of Breaking Bad to UK terrestrial on 5USA....then dropping it......and doing similar things with terrestrial rights to The Walking Dead, Sons of Anarchy, Justified, etc, etc.  Much of my DVD collection is the later seasons of shows that first appeared on Channel 5 and then got dropped.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Haha I know bud, their handling of US shows is nothing short of pathetic.

That being said, if ViacomCBS launch Paramount+ and put shows the day after airing then I will forgive them! 

Viacom merged with CBS in 2019, at least all
the damage to channel 5 US content was pre ViacomCBS days and only Viacom to blame. Fingers crossed under ViacomCBS ruling things will be very different. This of course assuming said shows will be on “My5”.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

But more streaming services simply means more subscription costs. Thanks to Disney+ I can no longer watch The Walking Dead unless I'm prepared to pay another sub 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

The thing with streaming services you don’t have to keep them for the full 12 months, in fact you don’t need to have all of them permanently. 

Generally I’ve managed to get great deals with my subscription services so I’ve managed to get most of the services I need to watch 99% of my content