cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DoctorDelorian
Advocate

Does Disney Plus adding Star to their catalogue now make the Entertainment Pass redundant?

Just noticing that lots of the most popular TV shows have now been added to the Disney Plus catalogue as part of the Star Package. As an existing Disney Plus user, is there any benefit to still keeping an Entertainment Pass or does the Disney Plus update make the Entertainment Pass seem obsolete for some?

11 REPLIES 11
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @DoctorDelorian 

Only you can decide if a NowTV Entertainment Pass is worth retaining or not.

Where Sky Atlantic is a biggie for me and about 80% of the Entertainment Shows that i enjoy watching are on Sky Atlantic.

I do have a Disney + subscription, but their TV shows on Star are not really my cup of tea.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@DoctorDelorian 

Like @schnapps  mentioned It purely depends on what shows you watch on the entertainment pass.

Sky still retain the rights to NBC shows mainly cause both companies are owned by Comcast. Those shows will forever keep Sky going. 

Over time HBO will end up launching HBO Max, but not till the current deal expires in 2024. 

All shows that Disney own for instance Greys Anatomy, 9-1-1, Station 19, 9-1-1 Lone Star and Harrow to name a few still have contracts in place with Sky. So it’ll take some time for these shows to appear on Disney+ Star with the new seasons instead of airing on Sky.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
starman73
Elite

Entertainment is mostly redundant for me as I get all the channels bar Sky Atlantic on Virgin.  Only time I get it is when there is a series like Game of Thrones, Six Feet Under, The Wire or The Sopranos that I want to binge on.  Did get it recently for The Undoing.  The only programme I want that is upcoming is Big Little Lies which is supposed to have the first two series back on 1st March.

I think Prime makes Entertainment more redundant as it has series like Walking Dead season 1-9 which are on permanently rather than the 2-3 month on, 6 months off with Now TV.  Also Prime seems to have a better movie choice than either Now or Star at present

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@starman73 

Speaking of The Walking Dead. This show is available on a few regions of Disney+ Star.

My guess is that’ll be a matter of time for the show to move from Prime over to Disney+. Much like Bones and other Disney owned content.

What we have to bear in mind is that Disney plan to bring around 1400 titles in for Star over the course of the year. So it’ll be a very busy year of constantly new content being added weekly or bi-weekly.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@gavs82008 wrote:

@starman73 

What we have to bear in mind is that Disney plan to bring around 1400 titles in for Star over the course of the year. So it’ll be a very busy year of constantly new content being added weekly or bi-weekly.

Hi @gavs82008 @starman73 

if I remember correctly is the launch content which obviously came yesterday and then there should be new movies and TV shows  every Friday after that. 

For the 'star originals' that were available at launch. It should be two episodes available at launch, and one new episode available every Friday. For upcoming originals that haven't been released yet, I believe, will be getting one episode weekly every Friday

There is a YouTube channel that covers Disney plus UK that you should perhaps check out

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC99lFugkkvslALTl_RLVn_Q

I have to say I like the fact that you can now lock specific profiles with a pin on Disney plus as well

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
starman73
Elite

be a matter of time for the show to move from Prime over to Disney+. Much like Bones and other Disney owned content.

I suspect Amazon won’t be too concerned as they are making a lot of their own pretty decent content, likewise Netflix who are renowned for it.  Now/Sky are a bit late to the party on this and bar the excellent Moone Boy there isn’t anything I have found that compelling, though I will watch Tin Star when I restart my entertainment pass next month.    

Without The Walking Dead (which is now on Disney+) there's slightly less of a reason for me to subscribe to NOW, but i'd say the Entertainment Pass on NOW will be pretty much redundant for me when HBO Max launches over here. NOW doesn't have a huge amount going for it outside of US imports, and Sky have just cancelled the Sky Original Intergalactic. Once the Warner Bros/DC/HBO TV shows have left for HBO Max then NOW will be a lot more reliant on Sky Originals.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ScottishTVuser9 

HBO Max isn't launching in the UK anytime soon as HBO and SKY have a very deep agreement 

Martin_14
Expert

Come 2025 they will likely leave though.