cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Zack Snyder's Justice league runtime wrong

Good morning All.

Very excited today to finally see the Snyder cut of Justice league, for which I just became a member today.

Started playing the movie and noticed the runtime was wrong. The run time of the movie is just over 4 hours as confirmed by Zack Snyder himself in numerous interviews. It also says on IMDB, that this is a 4 hour and 2 minutes long movie. For some reason, the runtime shown when you open it no Now Tv is 3 hour and 52 minutes. 

Wondering why it is 10 minutes short?

Best regards,

Saabi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User @gavs82008 it will be because the movie was shot on stock film at 24fps but will playback on UK TV at 25fps.

This article explains the process and changes in run times etc

https://medium.com/@Jamiesgt/how-us-tv-is-broadcast-in-the-uk-75849920806a

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yeah see it’s all update as it does it automatically 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Right this needs to be sorted right now as I’m not happy that you’ve let me buy the cinema package and not given me access to it and now trying to say check to see if it’s update when it’s clearly and issue with your service fix it or I’m leaving this service as I’m not happy I’ve tried calling customer service but what a surprise you don’t take customer calls it’s a joke 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Firstly, this is a customer forum, so all you are doing is "moaning" towards other customers like you and me. 

Secondly, there is NO customer number for TV membership. The contact number is for Broadband ONLY. 

If you are still having issues, have you tried to 

1. Delete and reinstall the app?

2. Unplug your router for a few minutes?

You are more than welcome to jump onto live chat and speak directly with NOW staff. Just make sure you click "chat online".

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-complaint

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
danjamesmay
Advocate

I am confused as to why this is acceptable in 2021.

UK being locked to 25fps is a thing of the past. All modern UK TVs support playback at 24fps.

Netflix and Amazon Video support playback at 24fps, or at the correct (recorded) frame rate for all their content. It’s been that way for years.

While the blog post linked does have some good technical points around converting frame rates, it gives no clear examples of any real content that has been tested. Furthermore, frame rate conversions should not be necessary anymore for the reasons I stated above.

I hope NowTV can support streaming content at its original frame rate in the future.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@danjamesmay 

It’s out of NOWs hand, it was the format that Sky were given.

This article explains that nothing was “left out” as you put it.

https://screenrant.com/justice-league-snyder-cut-uk-runtime-shorter-reason/amp/

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Saint1976
Elite 3

@danjamesmay 

"UK being locked to 25fps is a thing of the past."

Generally it's only films that are recorded at 24fps. TV and live broadcasts are 25fps across half the world so not really a thing of the past when 90% of the content the average person sees is 25fps.

"All modern UK TVs support playback at 24fps."

Not true unfortunately. Some do, some do with enhanced software, some do but badly causing judder and some simply don't.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/motion/24p

It doesn't matter that Netflix content is 24fps, it's the device you watch Netflix on that determines what you see. Unless your TV is 120hz, or using a device that matches native frame rates, then it's doing 3:2 pull down and you aren't watching the originally intended recording.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/netflix-at-24fps.2246883/

Until every recording of film and TV in every country, every live broadcast and every playback device is the same, there will always be a need for conversion, either at source, broadcast or playback.

danjamesmay
Advocate

Interesting points.

I think most people would agree that they would like the presentation to be the same frame rate as the source. Then it’s up to you, the consumer, if you get a TV that can display the source in ‘judderless’ manner. Otherwise, lots of people who have TVs capable of displaying native 24hz, 25hz, 30hz are being inflicted with pull down or speed changes...

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Saint1976 wrote:

@danjamesmay 

"UK being locked to 25fps is a thing of the past."

Generally it's only films that are recorded at 24fps. TV and live broadcasts are 25fps across half the world so not really a thing of the past when 90% of the content the average person sees is 25fps.

"All modern UK TVs support playback at 24fps."

Not true unfortunately. Some do, some do with enhanced software, some do but badly causing judder and some simply don't.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/motion/24p

It doesn't matter that Netflix content is 24fps, it's the device you watch Netflix on that determines what you see. Unless your TV is 120hz, or using a device that matches native frame rates, then it's doing 3:2 pull down and you aren't watching the originally intended recording.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/netflix-at-24fps.2246883/

Until every recording of film and TV in every country, every live broadcast and every playback device is the same, there will always be a need for conversion, either at source, broadcast or playback.

I have to concur with @Saint1976 here 

Not all UK TVs support output at different refresh rates. However, virtually all UK TV sets released within the past 8 almost certainly will. A good number of UK sets have for a long time also supported 24 Hz due to the fact that films are produced using 24 Hz refresh rate. To be fair, someone would have to be using quite an old TV these days to run into issues relating to refresh rate.

However, the refresh rate standard for UK television broadcasts is 50 Hz. This is the primary reason why 'now' content is 50 Hz. What I've seen in my experience most UK sets will output at 60 by default and switch to 50 Hz as needed. This is why often when you switch TV channel you will hear the audio output from the channel before the picture appears. This is because your TV is ensuring the refresh rate is correct in switching where appropriate.

On UK TV specifications. It is usually 50 Hz that is quoted because if it is not stated that 50 Hz is supported in the specifications, then the set cannot be sold in the UK.

Don't even get me started on the issues we used to have with now and Roku/Roku-based hardware due to the fact that 'now' content is 50 Hz and the hardware used to be fixed to 60 Hz output. Me just reminding people of that on here is going to give some very long time Users nightmares. 

Most Roku and Roku-based hardware these days has an auto adjust refresh rate function that if enabled will adjust the refresh rate of the playback device to appropriately match the content being played. However this function isn't present on some of the cheaper roku's which I find to be a dirty trick on Roku's part. Although all now TV hardware since the first generation 'smart box with freeview' has been able to do it

I believe 24 Hz became a thing during the days of DVD in the late 90s. This means that most UK sets should have been supporting 24 Hz long before they supported 60 Hz

You shouldn't experience motion judder If the refresh rate of the content you're watching divides equally into the refresh rate of the output device you're using. The this reason, what you'll usually find is that most UK sets was switch between 60 Hz, 50 Hz, or 24 Hz as appropriate . Although the some devices certainly modern games consoles, you would typically have to enable the appropriate video options to allow output at different refresh rates. For example on the previous and current Generation X boxes the relevant video options has to be enabled to allow output at 50 Hz and 24 Hz 

Hope this gives a bit more detail/context😀

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Izzie-T
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

HI @gavs82008  & all,

It is exactly @Anonymous User explained 

The HD version is a different frame rate from the others – 25 vs 23.98. Over a duration of nearly 4 hours, that difference will be around 10 minutes, it is correct.

@Anonymous User  for device issue, it is always easier to get help through Help Live Chat with the trained agent teams as said by @gavs82008  

Thank you for all your message and comment. 

please confirm if you have done the basic troubleshoot for unplug device/uninstall app, clear all history on device, smart TV & app. 

*Please note that I am only able to look into on content related queries, any account, offer, etc related, please contact our customer team or live chat for help. Thank you.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

See it’s not even letting me watch it at all everything else is working fine accept this film I’m fumming as I only brought the membership to watch it