cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Why does Now TV charge for Full HD?

It's 2020 and Nowtv is still only broadcasting in 720p unless you pay an extra £3 a month to get 1080p.

for £3 a month you should be getting 4k and HDR which both Netflix and Prime offer. Prime dont even charge extra for it.

Now tv is not only the most expensive streaming service in the UK but it also has the poorest picture quality of them all.

Its actually cheaper to get both Netflix and Prime in 4k and HDR combined than it is to get nowtv with movies and entertainment in 720P

Are there any plans to stop this 720p nonsense, offer 1080p as standard and have a 4k option anytime soon?

17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User 

The charge is because it cost extra to get the backend ready for Full HD and upgrading the apps. You do realise Netflix charge for HD as well right. 

I expect the focus at the moment is getting all the platforms to the same standard including 1080p 50FPS Sports Channels, Red Button and Sports Catchup enabled. This year has developed NowTV a lot more. 

I agree NowTV isn’t the cheapest but it has access to content other platforms don’t like HBO and Showtime shows and and Sky Originals also Live TV. All of that isn’t cheap. 

4K I can’t see coming anytime soon sadly but it would be nice to be disappointed. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User 

Yes I know Netflix charge for HD but you get both movies and tv shows for less than nowtvs movie package alone.  Also Netflix have had 1080p from the start. Why the hell is Sky so late adopting the technology?

Its 2020 they should be transitioning to 4k by now.

As for content. Yes Sky do have exclusive content but they just dont give you enough time to watch anything before the remove it. ive still never watched game of thrones for instance because there's just never enough time to watch the whole series before they remove it. Apart from Sky Originals they just expect you to have enough time to binge watch everything before they remove it.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User 

I believe the reason for the delay is the previous ownership structure of Sky focusing too much on there Satellite business. Comcast are showing they are focusing on Streaming not just in the US but there other markets. 

In reference to the shows I sort of agree I want to watch Walking Dead but by time I see it advertised only has just over a month left.

Game of Thrones has over a year a left on NowTV so you should have plenty of time to watch it. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Games of thrones is back on there?

How do you know it's got over a year left to watch it?

I would hate to be half way through the 8 season only to have it taken down

Yeah Walking dead is another example I should have used. Luckily seasons 1 to 9 of that are on prime and they never seem to expire so I was able to finish watching that when they got taken off Now. Just waiting for season 10 to go back up now or go on prime.

Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User Netflix operate in 190 countries (200 million subscribers) and operates one model. That's a huge level of available revenue concentrated on films and entertainment without the additional cost of live TV or device production, management and installation.

Sky/NowTV are in 4 countries (23 million subscribers) and operates 2 models - satellite with all the bells and whistles (but on a contract) or streaming with limitations but contact free. It's a smaller revenue stream with the additional costs of live TV and device production, management and installation (for satellite services).

While I'm sure Sky would not admit to it, their hope is that you transition from NowTV to Sky and benefit from 4k, recordable devices, extended catch-up facilities etc. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Saint1976 

Yeah I guess Sky could be hoping people with Now TV would end up buying full Sky.

Although i'm quite sure a lot of Now TV customers are Ex-Sky tv customers who don't want to be totally ripped off with their high subscription prices just to get their viewing ruined by adverts every 10 minutes or so. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I would like to buy Sky but where I live I can’t get a dish fitted but I have Fibre broadband so any future expansion of NowTV is great for me I have really loved the expansion this year. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Absolutely. I'm a ex subscriber and would never go back. NowTV is sub par when it comes to quality and that does not entice me to sign a contract with them.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It’s a bit of a joke really, as others have said, best to just use the other streaming services. I only ever use nowtv for the occasional football match, I don’t bother with 1080p as even that feels poor on a modern TV and I’m not going t pay an extra £3 for something that *worse* than all the other services default.