cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Why does Now TV charge for Full HD?

It's 2020 and Nowtv is still only broadcasting in 720p unless you pay an extra £3 a month to get 1080p.

for £3 a month you should be getting 4k and HDR which both Netflix and Prime offer. Prime dont even charge extra for it.

Now tv is not only the most expensive streaming service in the UK but it also has the poorest picture quality of them all.

Its actually cheaper to get both Netflix and Prime in 4k and HDR combined than it is to get nowtv with movies and entertainment in 720P

Are there any plans to stop this 720p nonsense, offer 1080p as standard and have a 4k option anytime soon?

17 REPLIES 17
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Netlfix also charge £3 for HD. It’s clearly indicated on their price plans. So it’s not “standard” across all services.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/24926

6FA7BC5D-9A79-48D6-9AD0-1E75897F314B.png

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Exclusive doesn't necessarily mean good. Very overpriced, Sky just offer as little as they can get away with.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

What you absolutely have to bare in mind is that Sky charge £5 for HD on top of the entertainment package. Only Sports and cinema pass they don’t charge for HD.

Until HD is the “standard” within Sky. Which is now in Germany as they have dropped the HD charge. Although the UK version will purely depend on the TV package setup. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
AlexB83
Scholar 2

There will always be a market who would rather pay less than have HD such as those who only have a 720p tv or watch with a mobile device. Now tv I see as more of a lite version of cable/satellite than a competitor to Netflix and nearly all big movies come there first. Also while it is not the cheapest if you shop round for deals and vouchers you can save a lot. I don't think I have paid full price for sports entertainment or movies ever 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@AlexB83 

True enough I was helping my Grandmother get a new TV only couple of weeks back and was surprised not all TVs do 1080p as a minimum I would of thought that would of happened a long while ago. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just canceled because of this. Without the boost, you do not get HD or 5.1 the is 2020 I would rather spend my money on Netflicks. Even on Sky tv, they think it is right to rip off customers with a £5.99 extra charge for HD. It is just a shame I am not in a virgin cable area as Sky would also be got rid of. Sky are not happy until they steal your last penny off you greedy company. Even their news channel is a joke with 10 minutes of Anti-Brexit Anti-Trump Pro-BLM full-on rhetoric every 30 minutes. They should show some impartiality

starman73
Elite

It is just a shame I am not in a virgin cable area as Sky would also be got rid of.

Virgin charge an extra £7 for Sky Sports HD, so monthly cost is nearly £39.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It is the most expensive but has the worst smarttv streaming app in terms of quality and reliability. The content is fairly dull with only the occasional quality programmes worthy of just 1 month rental. Cinema is ridiculously priced at 11.99 pm for standard res. Netflix and Amazon offer miles better value for money.