cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Who gives a film it's star rating?

Just watch Basmati Blues, today premier which NOWTV have given a 4.5 star rating.

Who rates this needs sacking.

It's a terrible film loading with racial stereotypes, poorly acted and dire songs.

4.5 stars it isn't!!!
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Can't give you an answer BUT it only got 3.8 on imdb https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1131728/

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

Hi, we use the Rotten Tomatoes score, which is an aggregate of a user and critical reviews.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Rotton Tomtoes is a joke for reviews, no one takes that site seriuolsy anymore, you need a new way to rate films, there is too many low budget rubish films with 4 or 5 star ratings.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

If you use rotten tomatoes rating why does justice league have 4 stars - it only has 40% 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I don't know how they rate their movies but they are usually giving stuff they show over-inflated ratings if you compare the same movies on the main rating/review sites. Far too many of the films nowadays are just over-hyped rubbish.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User I'd guess they use the user rating rather than the critic rating (which personally I prefer but I guess it depends on your view of the reliability of film critics) - so for instance in the case of Justice League it has a user rating average of 3.9/5 currently. I don't think they update the ratings as they change tho, but could be wrong as I never pay much attention to them - if I like the look of a film I'll try it anyway. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Andy

I also tend to use my own judgement on how good or bad a film is.

I've chosen not to watch movies in the past purely on the rating it has been given. When I've been short of things to watch and have decided to go back over some of them I've found them to be quite good on viewing. Of course the opposite has happened often enough too where I've been looking forward to a highly rated movie only to turn it off half way through because I didn't enjoy it.

I've generally tended to get a feel for a movie or tv series from user reviews rather than the views of critics but then again everyones tastes are different. 

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Yeah, I agree, I'm a big horror fan and NOW TV has plenty of low-budget offerings. Whilst most are pretty throwaway there's always a hidden gem or two amongst them that are fun to fish out. Personally I prefer IMDb to Rotten Tomatoes for digging out more info, but like you say at the end of the day we are all different!

At least with subscription services you're not spending money renting or buying individual films only to find they are a turkey when you sit down to watch them!

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

I tend to go by a minimum of 2 stars myself. 

My childhood favourite Thumbelina (which is still one of my favourites to this day) on here was panned by critics at the time it was released, yet NOWTV has it at 4 stars.

So it just goes to show, not everyone goes by what the critics say. 🙂

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂