cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UKTVPlayapp
Contributor 5

Re: When will you be transmitting in HD?

As we are in December 2018 the last month of the year when is the now tv passes being upscale to 1080p full hd. You did say the full hd will arrive before the end of the year. Can anyone from now tv response please to give us an I dear when full hd will launch.

UKTVPlayapp
Contributor 5

Any idea when now tv passes will be upgraded to 1080p full hd.

controlman82
Occasional Poster

15 days to go . . . . . . . 

UKTVPlayapp
Contributor 5

Does this mean Full HD for now tv passes will happen on Monday 31st December 2018.

robert1997
Scholar 1

@UKTVPlayapp wrote:

Does this mean Full HD for now tv passes will happen on Monday 31st December 2018.

I think what @controlman82 is rather sarcastically, but also most likely very accurately, saying is that in 15 days NowTV/Sky will have failed to deliver on their promise to its customers.

1080please
First Poster

I have a BT sport subscription, works brilliantly on chromecast, excellent picture and as such much better than the Sky Sports broadcasts on NowTV.

After reading up that NowTV would be broadcasting in full HD this year then it is very disappointing that no 1080p exists yet. Sort it out will ya! 

MBE4645
Contributor 1

Any possibility that somebody from Now TV could get on this Forum and answer the same question that EVERYBODY else is asking?

Marking the initial question as “resolved” does not make it true.

Mallett94
First Poster

Hello,

The main reason you have seen an improvment over the old black nowtv box is locked to 60hz output. Whoever decided to release the old now tv boxes with a 60hz locked output needs sacking tbqh. The nowtv stick (and also the now tv smart box/4k box) are 50hz which matches the 25fps now tv content.

On my Sony tv I use the equivalent of the IFC that another poster referred to earlier. On my TV its called Motionflow and I use some custom settings to get reduced motion blur but also do some 'smoothing'. This is actually frame interpolation and really does help with sports.

Out of interest do you or anyone else on here have a Chromecast Gen 3 or Chromecast Ultra? These 2 devices can support 1080p video at 50fps. At this point in time for me, the bt sport app will NOT send through the 1080/50p stream to my chromecast gen 3. It only sends the 1080/25p stream.

To get the 1080/50p stream I have to go to the bt sport web player on google chrome on a desktop or laptop, cast the tab to my gen 3 chromecast, press play on the stream and then click 'fullscreen'. After a couple of seconds the whole stream gets pushed to the chromecast and nothing is shown on the browser. The resulting picture quality is in my opinion outstanding. I actually believe that the picture quality watching like this is better than the 1080i50 (50 interlaced fields, still 25fps though) broadcast through a youview box or sky box.

I would be interested to know if anyone else has tried this out and agrees?

Also if anyone here casts nowtv or bt sport or any other british tv content, please make sure you have set your chromecast refresh rate to 50hz using the 'Home' app. This is imperative to ensure you get smooth playback.

Cheers!

0 Thanks
Asymptotic
Contributor 1

I also use BT sport but through the browser on my Samsung TV and usually the picture is fantastic, with none of the blurring or judder of NOW TV. I wish NOW TV would sort this problem out as with modern large TV's their service is unacceptably bad.

0 Thanks
Zooicidal
Occasional Poster

This really needs to happen yesterday. 

When everyone had under 50" 1080p TV's the 720p streams while not amazing were decent enough but with today's 55"+ 4K TV's it looks awful. Especially football, the quality of the full price pass is more what you would excpect for the mobile one than for a TV.

0 Thanks