cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

When will you be transmitting in HD?

Hi guys

Was wondering when you will start transmitting in HD?  Did ask a few years ago was hoping that by now shows would be available in HD...

Thanks in advance

Kriss 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum. Great to see another sci-fi fan around! NOW TV stream in 720p HD on most devices now,  but there's no news on if or when this will be upped to 1080p HD. However streaming on my devices on the big screen, the quality is pretty good.

More details here

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-highest-streaming-quality-for-my-device

View solution in original post

121 REPLIES 121
Anonymous User
Not applicable

This really needs to happen yesterday. 

When everyone had under 50" 1080p TV's the 720p streams while not amazing were decent enough but with today's 55"+ 4K TV's it looks awful. Especially football, the quality of the full price pass is more what you would excpect for the mobile one than for a TV.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The best bet now is 1080p full hd streams on now tv passes on now tv smart boxes will be launched in 2019 as there is only 9 hours left of 2018. Sky/Now Tv promise they will launch full hd streams on now tv passes will arrive by the end of the year 2018.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Though I’d give this thread a bump as it is now over one year old, quite pathetic that now tv haven’t managed to get 1080p by now🤣

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ive already been on here and said many times its not in sky's interest to have content in 1080p as it takes away from there sat business. I really hope it happens but ill be surprised and there will be a price increase if it ever does.

Hooba
Scholar 3

Agree - its not in Sky's interest. Yet. But the point must be approaching where it will be in their interest. I won't pay for movies or entertainment anymore - I just can't bear the 720p stream and stereo sound, looks terrible compared to anything on Netflix / Amazon / Itunes. Even though the content is very strong, as a value proposition it doesn't work for me anymore - you'd think at some point, when enough people feel the same way, the revenue loss will be so great that they'll have to switch on the 1080p stream. 

Protecting the satellite business will be part of the equation - but I think the bigger issue, even if longer term, will be protecting both NowTV and satellite from streaming / on-demand content providers. The current NowTV offering is very poor competition. And for many, the idea of signing up to 12/18 month contracts for a load of content that they'll never watch doesn't work either.

As an aside - I think it's very poor form indeed for NowTV to have announced that 1080p was going to be made available in 2018 and then failed to do so. Those sort of announcements drive consumer choices - i.e. have the effect of retaining existing customers or attracting new ones. I'm surprised they haven't had more grief than they have so far.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I agree with everything you say, I just dont see it changing as myself and many other people have been complaining about this for several years. If it does happen there will be a change on the subscription.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Everything is in place to compete with the juggernaut that is Netflix but Now TV is a joke. I’m a long term Apple TV user and having had several of these devices I can certainly say the Now TV app is long, long overdue for an update. I’ve just bought a new LG OLED tv and I sat down last night to watch True Detective on its own Now TV app and it wouldn’t work at all once I got logged in. Went back to my Apple TV 4K and watched both episodes in glorious 720p (that also had an occasional not smooth frame rate). It’s 2019, alternate streaming services have plenty of UHD / Dolby Vision content while Sky can’t even gave us 1080p! Sort it out, this service currently has no chance of competing.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

They just lost me for a year to VM because of the crap 720p Football and Cricket coverage. Maybe they will get it fixed before my VM contract need renewing..........or possibly not!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sorry to go on but this has been a long time now. I love my Now TV, having had this for two years plus now.

However I remember the press release last year stating 1080p would be coming, it’s now 2019 and we have nothing.

Can we at least find out if this will still be done? Otherwise people will just keep chasing, at least give us an update, even if it’s not we may want to hear.

Thank you.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just on to sky about it now and they say there are no plans for full HD