cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

When will you be transmitting in HD?

Hi guys

Was wondering when you will start transmitting in HD?  Did ask a few years ago was hoping that by now shows would be available in HD...

Thanks in advance

Kriss 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum. Great to see another sci-fi fan around! NOW TV stream in 720p HD on most devices now,  but there's no news on if or when this will be upped to 1080p HD. However streaming on my devices on the big screen, the quality is pretty good.

More details here

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-highest-streaming-quality-for-my-device

View solution in original post

121 REPLIES 121
ukbobboy
Legend

@Tony-D

Hi again Tony

Can you help an old guy out? 

Old Emoji 02.png

l'm trying to figure out what exactly the Nvidea is and how it fits on the "Home Entertainment" spectrum.

OK, this is my current understanding of what it is, i.e. a multi-media entertainment centre that can:

Connect to the Internet via Wi-Fi or Modem/router

Stream Internet TV Channels

Play and record Hi-Def videos  

Play music (not sure?)

Interface with computer peripherals, e.g. USB and/or micro SD cards

Play Hi-Def computer games

However, I don't know if the Nvidea has Bluetooth capabilities or can connect to other non-display main devices, e.g. external speakers.

So Tony, is there anything I've missed, added erroneously or misunderstood?

Later

UK Bob

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@ukbobboy wrote:

@Tony-D

Hi again Tony

Can you help an old guy out? 

Old Emoji 02.png

l'm trying to figure out what exactly the Nvidea is and how it fits on the "Home Entertainment" spectrum.

OK, this is my current understanding of what it is, i.e. a multi-media entertainment centre that can:

Connect to the Internet via Wi-Fi or Modem/router

Stream Internet TV Channels

Play and record Hi-Def videos  

Play music (not sure?)

Interface with computer peripherals, e.g. USB and/or micro SD cards

Play Hi-Def computer games

However, I don't know if the Nvidea has Bluetooth capabilities or can connect to other non-display main devices, e.g. external speakers.

So Tony, is there anything I've missed, added erroneously or misunderstood?

Later

UK Bob

@ukbobboy @Anonymous User 

You've hit the nail on the head for the most part. Connects to the internet via 5GHz Wi-Fi or Ethernet whihc is handy. I have a Micro SD Card in mine (128Gb) and the software allows you to use it as built in Storage and not removable media which is also really handy. It can play certain android games in HD but it's main thing for gaming is being able to stream from nVidias gaming version of Netflix or Streaming from your PC using Steamlink. It supports moreless every codec going and can play full HDR 10BIT 4K Shows on Netflix and Youtube, plus Prime. It has athe official Spotify app and can also be controlled with your phone. I'm not 100% on bluettoh as the remote connects via Wi-Fi but it seems to support it.

My Favourite thing about it is the responsiveness of it all. No lag whatsoever and only a few hiccups with the remote (known issue since 2015 and seems hardware related not software).

If you can find one at a decent price then i'd 100% look into it. Even i just for Plex and other streaming services.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboyI appreciate your sentiments re stick type devices but personally I wouldn't be without my Roku Streaming Stick+. It's the automatic refresh rate that does it for me Smiley Happy

@Tony-DThe Shield is something I've looked into but as yet haven't made the leap. I do have an Android tv box but it's not one that supports the actual Android TV platform. I agree it's a market NowTV/Sky should be looking into.

One question though @Tony-D. Does the Shield do auto refresh rate change? I've had conflicting answers elsewhere on whether it does or not, with some people saying it does but not all app developers support auto refresh.

@Anonymous UserI own a 2016 Panasonic (mid range) and it handles NowTV very well indeed with just a little altering to the IFC function. I use the higher spec Roku Streaming Stick+ which may also be a big influence on picture quality.

@ukbobboyI'm fairly certain you can use bluetooth headphones with the Shield.

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

@ukbobboyI appreciate your sentiments re stick type devices but personally I wouldn't be without my Roku Streaming Stick+. It's the automatic refresh rate that does it for me Smiley Happy

@Tony-DThe Shield is something I've looked into but as yet haven't made the leap. I do have an Android tv box but it's not one that supports the actual Android TV platform. I agree it's a market NowTV/Sky should be looking into.

One question though @Tony-D. Does the Shield do auto refresh rate change? I've had conflicting answers elsewhere on whether it does or not, with some people saying it does but not all app developers support auto refresh.

@Anonymous UserI own a 2016 Panasonic (mid range) and it handles NowTV very well indeed with just a little altering to the IFC function. I use the higher spec Roku Streaming Stick+ which may also be a big influence on picture quality.

Sorry Robert i have no idea and unfortunately i haven't watched any Sport on there. But i can check the settings later this week to see if there is an auto refresh rate option.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Tony-D wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

Sorry Robert i have no idea and unfortunately i haven't watched any Sport on there. But i can check the settings later this week to see if there is an auto refresh rate option.

I'd appreciate that @Tony-D. Thank you.

I wonder how many more devices I can purchase before the missus throws me out Smiley LOL

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Tony-D wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

I'd appreciate that @Tony-D. Thank you.

I wonder how many more devices I can purchase before the missus throws me out Smiley LOL

It's getting to a stage now were i'm scared to tell my girlfriend i want to upgrade my PC again. Maybe next year haha @Anonymous User

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @Tony-D

Hi Guys

Robert, you said, "I wonder how many more devices I can purchase before the missus throws me out"

and

Tony, you replied, "It's getting to a stage now were i'm scared to tell my girlfriend i want to upgrade my PC again".

Here I am thinking that I'm the only one haunted by upgrades and new shinny stuff.

Hobbit with Gold Ring.png

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy wrote:

@Anonymous User @Tony-D

Hi Guys

Robert, you said, "I wonder how many more devices I can purchase before the missus throws me out"

and

Tony, you replied, "It's getting to a stage now were i'm scared to tell my girlfriend i want to upgrade my PC again".

Here I am thinking that I'm the only one haunted by upgrades and new shinny stuff.

UK Bob

The stakes are high my friends Smiley LOL Smiley LOL

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@ukbobboy wrote:

@Anonymous User @Tony-D

Hi Guys

and

UK Bob

Haunted is the perfect word to describe how i feel every time i look at my PC.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV not on Nvidia Shield?

Side load Aptoide, and install from there maybe.