cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NOW TV Team Tony-D
NOW TV Team

Re: When will you be transmitting in HD?


@ukbobboy wrote:

@Tony-D

 

Hi again Tony

Can you help an old guy out? 

Old Emoji 02.png

l'm trying to figure out what exactly the Nvidea is and how it fits on the "Home Entertainment" spectrum.

 

OK, this is my current understanding of what it is, i.e. a multi-media entertainment centre that can:

Connect to the Internet via Wi-Fi or Modem/router

Stream Internet TV Channels

Play and record Hi-Def videos  

Play music (not sure?)

Interface with computer peripherals, e.g. USB and/or micro SD cards

Play Hi-Def computer games

However, I don't know if the Nvidea has Bluetooth capabilities or can connect to other non-display main devices, e.g. external speakers.

So Tony, is there anything I've missed, added erroneously or misunderstood?

Later

 

UK Bob

 


@ukbobboy @robert1997 

 

You've hit the nail on the head for the most part. Connects to the internet via 5GHz Wi-Fi or Ethernet whihc is handy. I have a Micro SD Card in mine (128Gb) and the software allows you to use it as built in Storage and not removable media which is also really handy. It can play certain android games in HD but it's main thing for gaming is being able to stream from nVidias gaming version of Netflix or Streaming from your PC using Steamlink. It supports moreless every codec going and can play full HDR 10BIT 4K Shows on Netflix and Youtube, plus Prime. It has athe official Spotify app and can also be controlled with your phone. I'm not 100% on bluettoh as the remote connects via Wi-Fi but it seems to support it.

 

My Favourite thing about it is the responsiveness of it all. No lag whatsoever and only a few hiccups with the remote (known issue since 2015 and seems hardware related not software).

 

If you can find one at a decent price then i'd 100% look into it. Even i just for Plex and other streaming services.

Highlighted
NOW TV Team Tony-D
NOW TV Team

Re: When will you be transmitting in HD?


@robert1997 wrote:

@ukbobboyI appreciate your sentiments re stick type devices but personally I wouldn't be without my Roku Streaming Stick+. It's the automatic refresh rate that does it for me Smiley Happy

@Tony-DThe Shield is something I've looked into but as yet haven't made the leap. I do have an Android tv box but it's not one that supports the actual Android TV platform. I agree it's a market NowTV/Sky should be looking into.

One question though @Tony-D. Does the Shield do auto refresh rate change? I've had conflicting answers elsewhere on whether it does or not, with some people saying it does but not all app developers support auto refresh.

@Thom77I own a 2016 Panasonic (mid range) and it handles NowTV very well indeed with just a little altering to the IFC function. I use the higher spec Roku Streaming Stick+ which may also be a big influence on picture quality.

@ukbobboyI'm fairly certain you can use bluetooth headphones with the Shield.


Sorry Robert i have no idea and unfortunately i haven't watched any Sport on there. But i can check the settings later this week to see if there is an auto refresh rate option.

Re: When will you be transmitting in HD?


@Tony-D wrote:

@robert1997 wrote:

@ukbobboyI appreciate your sentiments re stick type devices but personally I wouldn't be without my Roku Streaming Stick+. It's the automatic refresh rate that does it for me Smiley Happy

@Tony-DThe Shield is something I've looked into but as yet haven't made the leap. I do have an Android tv box but it's not one that supports the actual Android TV platform. I agree it's a market NowTV/Sky should be looking into.

One question though @Tony-D. Does the Shield do auto refresh rate change? I've had conflicting answers elsewhere on whether it does or not, with some people saying it does but not all app developers support auto refresh.

@Thom77I own a 2016 Panasonic (mid range) and it handles NowTV very well indeed with just a little altering to the IFC function. I use the higher spec Roku Streaming Stick+ which may also be a big influence on picture quality.

@ukbobboyI'm fairly certain you can use bluetooth headphones with the Shield.


Sorry Robert i have no idea and unfortunately i haven't watched any Sport on there. But i can check the settings later this week to see if there is an auto refresh rate option.


I'd appreciate that @Tony-D. Thank you.

I wonder how many more devices I can purchase before the missus throws me out Smiley LOL

0 Thanks
Reply
NOW TV Team Tony-D
NOW TV Team

Re: When will you be transmitting in HD?


@robert1997 wrote:

@Tony-D wrote:

@robert1997 wrote:

@ukbobboyI appreciate your sentiments re stick type devices but personally I wouldn't be without my Roku Streaming Stick+. It's the automatic refresh rate that does it for me Smiley Happy

@Tony-DThe Shield is something I've looked into but as yet haven't made the leap. I do have an Android tv box but it's not one that supports the actual Android TV platform. I agree it's a market NowTV/Sky should be looking into.

One question though @Tony-D. Does the Shield do auto refresh rate change? I've had conflicting answers elsewhere on whether it does or not, with some people saying it does but not all app developers support auto refresh.

@Thom77I own a 2016 Panasonic (mid range) and it handles NowTV very well indeed with just a little altering to the IFC function. I use the higher spec Roku Streaming Stick+ which may also be a big influence on picture quality.

@ukbobboyI'm fairly certain you can use bluetooth headphones with the Shield.


Sorry Robert i have no idea and unfortunately i haven't watched any Sport on there. But i can check the settings later this week to see if there is an auto refresh rate option.


I'd appreciate that @Tony-D. Thank you.

I wonder how many more devices I can purchase before the missus throws me out Smiley LOL


It's getting to a stage now were i'm scared to tell my girlfriend i want to upgrade my PC again. Maybe next year haha @robert1997

0 Thanks
Reply
ukbobboy
Champion 2

Re: When will you be transmitting in HD?

@robert1997 @Tony-D

Hi Guys

Robert, you said, "I wonder how many more devices I can purchase before the missus throws me out"

and

Tony, you replied, "It's getting to a stage now were i'm scared to tell my girlfriend i want to upgrade my PC again".

Here I am thinking that I'm the only one haunted by upgrades and new shinny stuff.

Hobbit with Gold Ring.png

 UK Bob

 

 

 

 

Re: When will you be transmitting in HD?


@ukbobboy wrote:

@robert1997 @Tony-D

Hi Guys

Robert, you said, "I wonder how many more devices I can purchase before the missus throws me out"

and

Tony, you replied, "It's getting to a stage now were i'm scared to tell my girlfriend i want to upgrade my PC again".

Here I am thinking that I'm the only one haunted by upgrades and new shinny stuff.

Hobbit with Gold Ring.png

 UK Bob

 

 

 

 


The stakes are high my friends Smiley LOL Smiley LOL

NOW TV Team Tony-D
NOW TV Team

Re: When will you be transmitting in HD?


@ukbobboy wrote:

@robert1997 @Tony-D

Hi Guys

Robert, you said, "I wonder how many more devices I can purchase before the missus throws me out"

and

Tony, you replied, "It's getting to a stage now were i'm scared to tell my girlfriend i want to upgrade my PC again".

Here I am thinking that I'm the only one haunted by upgrades and new shinny stuff.

Hobbit with Gold Ring.png

 UK Bob

 

 

 

 


Haunted is the perfect word to describe how i feel every time i look at my PC.

0 Thanks
Reply
Flaggy69
Mentor

Re: When will you be transmitting in HD?

Now TV not on Nvidia Shield?

Side load Aptoide, and install from there maybe.

0 Thanks
Reply
GaryL
Expert 2

Re: When will you be transmitting in HD?


@Flaggy69 wrote:

Now TV not on Nvidia Shield?

Side load Aptoide, and install from there maybe.


Wouldn’t work, now tv app won’t work on a device with hdmi output.

0 Thanks
Reply
Thom77
Elite

Re: When will you be transmitting in HD?


@robert1997 wrote:

@Thom77

Thanks for the update. Looking better for you in the picture stakes. I'd agree with you 'upgrading' to the stick for your main telly. I do believe the better the device (or newer, does that equal better, I suppose it should) the better the results should be when viewing sport. Let us know how it goes for you if/when you purchase a stick Smiley Happy

As for 1080p, I'd gladly settle for 720p at 50fps as a compromise.


@robert1997

Well, I've bought that new Now TV Stick to go with my main living room based Panasonic TV...... perfect timing as just about everywhere is selling the £19.99 Stick & Pass Packages at £14.99, Argos, Currys, John Lewis, Supermarkets, they are all doing it!!!!!!!

Testing my new Stick / Panasonic TV combo with Sky Sports News channel (will probably get a better test next time I get a proper Sports Pass), fast action does seem better than when I had the old black Now TV box attached....... although it's not quite as sharp as the Stick / Samsung TV combo I have upstairs??  You mentioned in another Post with your Panasonic TV and altering something called IFC... I think I'll investigate further what that is and if altering that on my Panasonic set gives me better results.

Overall, the Sticks are certainly giving me better picture quality for fast sports compared to my old black boxes, but they do still need that final touch of 50fps to be ultimately satisfied with the quality.  You've got to think it can't be too much longer until Now TV announce more about these quality improvements they are bringing...... the sooner the better.