cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NorthE
Advocate

Subtitles

I have just tried watching the well reviewed new series “The Diplomat”, but discover that there are no subtitles available, either on live TV or catchup on NOW, how can this be in today’s world?  Other series, including Person of Interest also do not have subtitles. How is it that some series have subtitles and others do not?  Many viewers like myself need subtitles to understand the programmes. Competitors, like Amazon and Netflix, while not perfect, offer nearly 100% coverage, for the same cost as NOW entertainment.  

12 REPLIES 12
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @NorthE 

What playback devices have you tried? 

I know the BT Boxes and Youview Boxes don't support subtitles with regards to NOW.

More information in this link below about subtitles using the NOW service.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/can-i-watch-with-subtitles 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Just an update on my post reply above, that i recently noticed that subtitles are now available on Youview boxes using the NOW App on the live channels (when subtitles are supported on the content streamed live).

Still no subtitles when watching on catchup or on Demand via the NOW App on the Youview boxes.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @NorthE 

I don't watch anything on the Alibi NOW channel either live or on Demand but having a quick look they don't seem to support subtitles where there is no s icon symbol next to each thumbnail folder.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @NorthE 

This tweet (see screenshot below), which might be the reason why Alibi on Demand has no subtitles on third party services such has NOW.

Screenshot_20230301-104648_Samsung Internet.jpg

If you are not using a BT Box or Youview box then I just checked the live Alibi channel on my Amazon Fire Stick and subtitles are showing for me when watching Alibi live.

To get subtitles on the live channel feed once watching live press the ok or enter button on your remote and when the information banner pops up on screen click on the bubble speech icon far right and then select subtitles English.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @NorthE 

Person of Interest is currently on the live Alibi channel and for me on my Amazon Fire Stick there is subtitles available for this live TV show by switching on subtitles from my instructions above.

If you have a BT Box or Youview box you won't get subtitles either live or on Demand with anything on your NOW Entertainment TV Membership.

Should you have a BT box or youview box then perhaps send an email to NOW for the reason why these devices are not supported with regards to subtitles on NOW.

youdoodle-2020-05-11T14-12-50Z.jpg

NorthE
Advocate

Hi. Thanks for the replies. I am watching NOW tv on a Roku box on my TV. Subtitles work fine on all streams. They work on NOW tv, I really got it for Succession!  My complaint is that many Alibi programmes don’t have subtitles, like the new Diplomat I wanted to watch, this doesn’t have any on live either!!  I can watch person if interest live on NOW with subtitles, but not on streaming  - none shown. It’s all a bit confusing. I will reply to customer services at NOW. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @NorthE 

Unless that tweet screenshot from 2021 I posted has changed or been updated then it looks like Alibi don't provide subtitles to third party providers when watching Alibi content on Demand / catchup.

Don't know why the Diplomat didn't have subtitles on the live channel by pressing the bubble speech icon on the information banner when watching live on the Roku.

Maybe it's best to email customer service with all your questions.

NorthE
Advocate

Thanks for all the suggestions. Alibi doesn’t show live channel on NOW or uktv play. Nothing has happened since 2021!  Media providers are very slow in supporting accessibility, it is easy fix when all the subtitles are already done. ‘Contractual issues’ seems to be the cop out. 

NorthE
Advocate

@schnapps 

Absolute disgrace, nothing has changed since 2020, disrespect for people with hearing difficulties. Subtitles are available, but they can’t be bothered to add them!  Not surprising some viewers are looking for “alternative” ways of watching.