cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Subtitles/closed captions not working properly

The subtitles on NowTV have never been great, but after a recent update of the NowTV Player they're absolutely awful.

They'll show a single line of speech frozen on the screen for 5 minutes, before showing another single line and cutting out again. Obviously this is just as useless as no subtitles at all - and from a quick scan of the forums I'm not the only person experiencing issues with rubbish captioning.

If NowTV is actively trying to drive away its deaf and hard of hearing customers, it's going the right way about it.

91 REPLIES 91
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Also the subtitles for Riviera Season 3, which was recently added, work when using Windows NOW TV player. I'm not sure what is happening, it's like they have changed/ fixed something with the latest only shows. It makes me curious to also try maybe one of the newest movie arrivals... The sad thing is that the subtitles still don't work for the older series/ movies.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Watching Riviera Season 3 on NowTV on our Samsung TV; Episode 1 had subtitles OK, Episode 2 didn’t, Episode 3 said it had them, but they kept turning themselves off.

Subtitles usually work OK on this version of the NowTV app; Brave New World was fine, except that the app doesn’t remember our subtitles setting, and they have to be turned on each time we watch.

But we have noticed that the provision of subtitles often lags new series by a day or more.

NowTV still needs to up its game in this area.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

SAME RUBBISH SUBTITLES, 17/10/2020, WASTE OF SUBSCRIPTION, NOT RENEWING

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It's October 2020 and the subtitles are still useless...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Agreed its blatant ableism don't know how they get away this I am sick and tired of not being able to watch things on now tv turn the subtitles on they don't come on and when they do they stop working halfway through movies or don't work at all 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I Agree!!

its blatant ableism, I don't know how they get away this it should fall under discrimination!! Lying saying that they provide a service which they do not!!

I am sick and tired of paying for some service that I am not even able to watch things on NOWTV an overly expensive service which a poor customer service team instead of asking the disabled community to tell you which ones don't work you should get an investigative team to because quite frankly more than 50% of the time subtitles DO NOT WORK 

I turn the subtitles on and they don't come on and IF they do come on they stop working shortly after I've only been able to watch half of films because of this or they don't work at all!! also no way to distinguish which person is speaking just basic wording which is frankly useless 

I will be cancelling my subscription and going elsewhere as I don't have any issues with any other streaming company just NOWTV 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It’s 9th of November now and yet it’s still not working I rely on subtitles as I can’t hear properly at all this has gone on for over a year even though now tv is 3 times+ the price of Netflix nice way to spit on your deaf customers now tv you should be ashamed of yourselves 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

We got a free trial yesterday (29/12/2020) and had the same issue. Subtitles would "work" for maybe a minute, skipping several lines of dialogue at random, then would simply stop showing. We found another community post from June 2018 full of people experiencing the same issue. I'm going to give them a couple months and then make an unlawful discrimination claim. Willingly not providing an accessible platform by something as simple as subtitles (something Netflix can offer seamlessly for at least £4 less a month) is discriminatory and ableist. From what I've read many people have reported this, myself included. The equality act 2010 states that "any business that provides goods or services must make 'reasonable adjustments' to ensure anyone can access their services"

And as far as I'm aware, over 2 years to fail to provide subtitles is not very reasonable.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The subtitling service offered by Now TV is a shambles that never seems to get fixed despite repeated promises since 2016 to be ‘working on it”. May a suggest you hire someone from Netflix or Amazon Prime. Both seem to have figured out how to keep sub-titles up and running. Please don’t ask me which programme I am referring too: about every damn one we view is the answer. Getting the subtitles to appear is easy enough. Stopping them from disappearing every five minutes is impossible. You then have to press back to leave the show, then press enter to resume viewing, at that point the sub titles magically reappear...only to drop off five minutes later. Latest example is the Das Boot series.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

So true !!!