cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Subtitles/closed captions not working properly

The subtitles on NowTV have never been great, but after a recent update of the NowTV Player they're absolutely awful.

They'll show a single line of speech frozen on the screen for 5 minutes, before showing another single line and cutting out again. Obviously this is just as useless as no subtitles at all - and from a quick scan of the forums I'm not the only person experiencing issues with rubbish captioning.

If NowTV is actively trying to drive away its deaf and hard of hearing customers, it's going the right way about it.

91 REPLIES 91
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am a new user of Now TV and last night I watched The Sisters Brothers and Mission Impossible – Rogue Nation. In both cases the video and audio quality was fine but the subtitles were rubbish. As other posters have said the subtitles sometimes froze, sometimes disappeared and sometimes were for a different part of the film. It's amazing in the 21st Century that Sky are unable to fix this in a timely manner. I am able to do subtitles properly and my home videos so why can't you? Any chance of a proper answer?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just to add the same problem occurs on my Mac, Windows laptop and Samsung TV.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I can't make out what the characters are saying and i need subtitles.

They don't work.

Subscription cancelled.

Izzie-T
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

Thank you for all your message and comments.

The subtitles issue has been taken very seriously and being looked into according to different level of procedures at present.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

‘... being looked into according to different levels of procedure‘, is a Kafka-esque response! The subtitles on Now-TV do not work for BT customers. What level does it need to reach for you to fix it?!! Please reply with a meaningful answer. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

August 2020 and subtitles still absolute rubbish. Won't be taking up a membership after my trial. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

1 September 2020.  The subtitles are still rubbish on my desktop and laptop. They seem ok on my ipad though. Cross my fingers. But I want them on the PCs as well

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yep, still not working. Well done Now TV, it's clear you took this very seriously and gave it the close attention it warranted.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Spam their facebook and twitter accounts, perhaps they'll start caring about
people with hearing disabilities then.
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Hey Disco Rich, broh

What your advising people to do is, I'm sure, illegal because it could rise to the level of a "Denial of Service" attack and earn you a visit from the boys in blue.

So broh, put in a complaint like every body else, it's the right thing to do.

UK Bob