cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Subtitles/closed captions not working properly

The subtitles on NowTV have never been great, but after a recent update of the NowTV Player they're absolutely awful.

They'll show a single line of speech frozen on the screen for 5 minutes, before showing another single line and cutting out again. Obviously this is just as useless as no subtitles at all - and from a quick scan of the forums I'm not the only person experiencing issues with rubbish captioning.

If NowTV is actively trying to drive away its deaf and hard of hearing customers, it's going the right way about it.

91 REPLIES 91
Izzie-T
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

Hi can I please ask if the Deadwood issue is happening on a certain device please?

Thank you

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

All the programmes that I’ve tried experience the same issues on iPad, iPhone and MacOS.

Thanks,

Rob

Izzie-T
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

Ok, I understand this happens, I experienced the same in movie before.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

They've always been rubbish for me, I figured it was just my laptop or internet issues but it seems like they don't work for anyone.

I'm not sure why it's so bad - even YouTube's auto-generated captions aren't as bad as the ones on NowTV, a premium streaming service!

Perhaps NowTV could spend some time addressing this?

Izzie-T
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

Sure, this is why your information is important here. 

Be specific, for which device, program, season, ep, some ppl even would point out at what timing it happens. 

This will definitely help

Thank you.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I dont think its to do with specific titles, every film I've watched, every film, has had the same issue, throughout, not just at once specific time, I've also gone back over parts of the films and the glitches have been different (i.e. will get stuck on a different line of dialogue than it did the first time that film was watched) which just leads me to believe it's a service-wide issue

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I agree - this isn’t an issue that I haven't experienced yet on a title, so it would be easier if one ever works that I post that as an example of when it didn’t happen!

Izzie-T
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

I quite agree that it is wide problem of subtitles, but more evident and data needs to be presented before improvement can be pushed forward.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Seriously? you think paying NOWtv customers should do a premium tv services bug testing for them?? People have been highlighting these issues for MONTHS and NOWtv have done nothing. As someone else said, no other premium entertainment service has this issue, even Youtubes automatically generated subtitles are 95% more functional than NOWtv's.

Numerous people have said it effects any title they try, on a number of different platforms. If the company gave a hoot they'd have someone spend 5 minutes confirming this to be the case and FIX IT.

This forum appears to just be a mechanism for NOWtv to avoid proper customer care and interaction, from what I have seen there is no actual company representation here hence nothing has been done. Perhaps if the press ran a story about the discrimination hearing-impaired people receive from the company they might give a ######?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just joined this service and have the same problem which I can see was reported over a year ago!? Am I missing something? Is there a fix or a setting I need to make to my Mac? Many thanks..