cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Subtitles/closed captions not working properly

The subtitles on NowTV have never been great, but after a recent update of the NowTV Player they're absolutely awful.

They'll show a single line of speech frozen on the screen for 5 minutes, before showing another single line and cutting out again. Obviously this is just as useless as no subtitles at all - and from a quick scan of the forums I'm not the only person experiencing issues with rubbish captioning.

If NowTV is actively trying to drive away its deaf and hard of hearing customers, it's going the right way about it.

91 REPLIES 91
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User asked:-

And I also want to know, what they are doing for wearers of false teeth ?

Bringing you wonderful streaming services on a plate! 😬🦷🦷🦷👅

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Still broken for me also, it's been 4 months in total since I got in contact with support.

The last I heard 3 months ago was "the relevant team are already looking into this subtitles issue"

Now my support ticket has been closed.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Time everyone invaded their social media pages, perhaps they will take
notice there?
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Signed up the other week, and thought I’d give True Detective a whirl. I have normal hearing, but I estimate 50% of what Mahershala Ali’s character says is unintelligible, so we tried the subtitles. They are even less intelligible than him, so we now resort to guesswork, context and asking each other “what the hell was that?”. Appalling.

Izzie-T
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

Hi 

Can I please ask if there is any specific ep or time of the ep that can show what is wrong with the subtitles issue?

Thank you

Anonymous User
Not applicable

In my experience, pick any title on NOWtv entertainment or moves, put on subtitles and wait for a few minutes - after which they will be hopelessly behind and miss large chunks completely...pointless.

Izzie-T
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

Hi 

I total understand what you mean, but if any of you can please post out the program, series, ep of the time when the subtitles has issues. 

Thank you

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Have just watch 9 minutes of Episode 6 of Ban of Brothers as my subscription
period doesn't cancel for another week; I would guess 30%+ of all dialogue
is missed even when the text is keeping up, and periodically they stop
completely and miss chunks entirely.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

You could throw a dart in the schedules and hit one that doesn’t work properly - every one I’ve tried is all over the place, on MacOS app and iOS: Sopranos, Six Feet Under, True Detective etc

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Also just tried Ep 1 S1  of Deadwood, and the same thing happens - random lines appearing, then one will freeze on screen for 20 secs or so, then the lines will either flash up in order to catch up, or just jump to current position.